Block paving sealant

Been getting quotes for block paving of drive/patio/path, decent job rather than cowboys, companies seem keen to use a sealant, I'm not convinced, I'm particularly against the wet-look varnish I sometimes see that looks almost as horrid as those pressed concrete drives.

I've not yet asked if their guarantees are contingent on applying the sealant.

I've read pavingexpert on the subject, and they don't seem to regard them as necessary on domestic paving, seem to say it should be left at least 3 months (companies so far say they only need to defer application if it's wet) and can need re-doing every year or two, I'm not keen on adding an extra chore, though there is the supposed benefit of not having to clear weeds from the joints.

Any recommendations for invisible or matt finish sealers? I can't track down the "USP" mentioned by pavingexpert ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think I'd happier with the rain soaking through the paving, which is what happens here (despite 3 coats of solvent based sealer)

Reply to
stuart noble

How does that work? If you seal the joints you can't have permeable paving and you need planning approval for none permeable paving these days IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

phillell'l know shurely? he's done "thousands" remember?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Dunno, it wasn't something I was seeking, but two have so far quoted with it included, supposedly it's a resin that bonds the sand in the joints - but then we've all seen weeds will eventually grow through virtually anything!

Even if you're replacing like for like? It is to include a run of aqua channel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Restrictions were introduced to control water run off as it causes flooding. You can use hard paving as long as you build in a means of controlling the run off. You can't just run it into a drain any more AIUI. You can build soakaways and/or storage tanks with controlled run off. I have no idea if the restrictions include renewal as opposed to repair. Mine drains to soakaways and has done so for 30 years.

Reply to
dennis

I suppose the other benefit could be that it stops ants digging the sand out.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

The manufacturers do mention that too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nothing stops the ants digging the sand out!

Reply to
Capitol