Block paving question

I've been looking at the Paving Expert but haven't found an answer to this question.

I do the gardening for an elderly neighbour. Whilst she was away on hols last week, unbeknown to her, her daughter arranged for the boyfriend to come round and clean the block-paved driveway. He has an industrial-strength pressure washer. The driveway is now sparkling clean .... and most of the sand between the blocks has been blasted down the road. I never got chance to talk to him, so not sure on his level of expertise, or intentions -- he's now gone back to Scotland!

Looks like I'm going to have to acquire some more sand for the blocks (it's special stuff, I know that much). My question: will I be able to make do with a brush to spread it into the blocks, or ought I hire one of those plate-vibrator machines? (I really do not want to, for reasons of cost, noise, and the fact that I've never used one.)

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

You just need paving sand (very fine, dry), pour it on, sweep it about and keep adding until no more will fill the voids. Very easy to do, and no need for vibration at that stage (that's used earlier in the process for tamping the grit sand base, and for levelling the blocks after laying)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just kiln dry sand and a brush. It will help if you do it on a hot or warm day this will help take out any moister in the blocks. Just spread the sand with the brush until there is a surplus.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Kipper and all the others who have thus reassured me - thanks very much! This will be cheaper and swifter than I had feared :-)

John

Reply to
Another John

It's kiln dried sand (expensive)brushed in Just get ordinary sand, brush it about and wash it in with a hosepipe. Much cheaper. You need a lot more then you think.

Reply to
harry