Block paving joints

We had the area behind out house block paved last year. Whilst we are generally pleased with the quality of work, we seem to have a problem with the sand washing out of the joints in areas subject to localised water action (around the drains or where condensation drips off the facia boards). Is there anything I can use to lock the sand in place without creating a look that is obviously cement(ed) please?

Mark W.

Reply to
Mark Webb

You could try some block paving sealant. I'm not sure how effective it will be at preventing sand getting washed out of joints, but it should help.

Reply to
rrh

I have just had my front block paved ( laid today). I am going to seal mine myself. I suggest you google for block paving sealer, lots of useful stuff around. Sealer will keep the sand in, so the sealer companies say.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Interesting. I thought sealer just stopped the blocks discolouring from spills etc. I presume this is a liquid? If so, does it alter the colour of the blocks it comes into contact with? I don't fancy having to do the entire area.

Mark W.

Reply to
Mark Webb

Yes. Use a very weak mix of cement - possibly white cement, and sand. About 7-1 to 10:1.

I have laid my snadstone on that and 'grouted' it with tat quite wide gaps - and it looks pretty sandy when done.

You can either brush it in dry, and brush the residue away, or go sloppy wet like I did, but you have to sponge down everything afterwards, and then treat with brick acid to remove the white covering the cement leaves everywhere.

Try varous mixtures to get the colour and strength right - you want to only prevent it washing away, not go stronger than that, and too strong will look cementy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is some stuff which is red to help bring back colour to faded blocks. But most of it would appear to be colourless. They are putting the sand down today, so off to B & Q Sat as I understand they sell block paving sealer otherwise its buy off the net.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In article , Mark Webb writes

Some discolour, some don't, by discolouring all they do is darken the surface to give an always wet type appearance which can improve the look anyway, they are resin based and not only penetrate and seal the blocks but also stabilise the sand, the resin 'glues' the sand together, most builders merchants have block paving sealer

Reply to
David

You're joking NP, on block paving??

Reply to
David

John Woodhall

No...if the sand will go in, mix cement? or have I missed something?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Update: no sand today, rain !!!. Still gives me a chance to get the sealer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Hi,

Try running a dilute solution of PVA in the joints on a small area.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I don't think you could stop it soaking into the blocks and giving you a white stain on the edges.

Reply to
stuart noble

I'm wondering whether it's wise to seal up the joints. I recently moved and realigned part of a block paved driveway which entailed relocating the kerb at one side, moving the blocks across and then doing the kerb at the other side. I didn't fill in the gaps between the blocks.

On the part that wasn't moved the rainwater just collects on top and eventually runs off into a gulley or evaporates. On the relocated part the water just runs down the gaps and soaks into the ground. This is greatly preferable from an environmental point of view.

I did have a problem with sand disappearing around an inspection cover but this was cured by regrouting the cover surround to block up the holes. Ants bring up sand in various places, regardless of whether the gaps are filled or not, but they just get zapped with Raid.

Reply to
Richard Porter