Block Paving

Everything you need to know (and more) at

or elsewhere on Cormaic's excellent site.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I am getting a quote on Monday (not enough mates for a DIY project!).

Can you advise on what I should ensure is in the specification to ensure a good quality job. Also - are all blocks of a similar quality? Anything to avoid.

Many thanks

Reply to
John

  • an addendum to that - confirm with the householder at that address that it really was done by the same people !

My mother (daft cow that she is) paid some irish navvie to do her driveway, and asked to see examples of her work. The guy expected that kind of question and gave her an address that looked wonderful.

Daft cow paid up front, irish navvie never seen again.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

An excellent site - I was hoping for some voices of experience on what to expect and what to avoid when confronted with an apparent know-all wanting me to part with hard earned money.

Reply to
John

The block round the edges MUST be held in place rock solid, if they move it all moves, and it very quickly looks ugly.

The base must be strong enough to take the weight, so you don't dig out strong solid stuff, but you do remove loose soil. If you put bocks on soil and park a car on top, before long the blocks simply sink into the soil.

After that it should end up smooth, if there are lumps bumps, waves etc, its a bad job.

Ask for some addresses of recent jobs the guy did, go and have a look at them.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper