Block laying rate

What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Well even if he is slow, a block a minute = 60 x 7.5 hours = 450 blocks..

If he has a mate to fetch the blocks and mix the mortar its less than that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no bricky on Earth could lay 450 blocks a day, with or without a labourer.

To the OP: With a labourer, a good bricky will lay approx 150 blocks, maybe

175, so expect it to take 2.5 days
Reply to
Phil L

Up here the going rate is =A30.50 a block.That`s for the brickie to lay them only,you also need a labourer to mix the compo,lay it at his hand and stack the blocks so that he picks them up and lays them without stretching. He will only be able to build about four courses at a time or it all sags.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Do brickies up your way wear their underpants outside their trousers?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a bit more to it than that.

The RSJ flange may be 6mm or so. This puts the line a long way from the work. I made up some grooved hardwood blocks and used cramps to trap the line and force it to line up with the inside edge. Moving the line takes time.

I guess this is single storey work so too low for bandstands but too high to finish the job from the floor. Creating a suitable platform takes time.

Working under a roof is not easy as you either can't stand upright or you can't reach the last few courses.

The top course will all need cutting.

I'm no brickie and it took me a week to build a partition wall 35'0 wide in three bays 16'0 eaves and a pitched roof at 15deg. There was lots of cutting! Blocks 150 wide.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are limits to how many courses you can lay a day to prevent the joints squeezing out. I recall it being about 16 for bricks but I have no idea for blocks.

Reply to
dennis

Lightweight blocks are much quicker than concrete blocks to lay.

The bricklayer can pick them up one handed whereas with the concrete ones he has to put down his trowel to lift the block with two hands.

mark

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote

The OP mentions "medium density" rather than lightweight, so the advantages don't apply. Those lightweight blocks may be thermally good news but for solidity they are pants IMHO

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Can you still get brick spacers? I used them a few years back, mainly for accuracy, but I imagine they would solve the sagging problem.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm a superintendent for the largest commercial masonry firm in the Southeast USA. We build high rises in major cities. Our niche is different than what you are asking, but 150 block per day per mason is reasonable.

Reply to
thipps271

Welcome to the uk.d-i-y newsgroup.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How many blocks can a bricklayer lay a day?

Reply to
bukolatoyindada

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Ask Yosser Hughes ...

Reply to
Graeme

You're in luck, Andrew Mawson asked that very question 8 years ago and someone finally replied last month, your news server should still have the answer available :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can easily lay 450 in a day!! And it will be very neet!!

Reply to
themasonryman.hwr

Reply to
Andy Burns