block built workshop

I intend to build a 7 x 3m workshop out of single skin (4in) concrete blocks. I have 2 questions:

  1. Will a stand raft foundation (about 4in) suffice, or do I need a strip foundation?

  1. Will I need to provide piers at intervals, if so at what distance?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

You will have to comply with building regs for a permanent structure such as you describe so take advice from your planner or building control office,and you will probably need planning as well.

Reply to
Alex

Not if its under 30m2 and constructed of substantially non-combustible material

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Where I am, I would dig just over a foot down till I hit the solid stuff that I know from experience is down there, put in a spade wide strip foundation, compact rubble in the middle and oversite over the rest and build on that.

most places if you put a raft down it will crack, but your location will decide that, at the very least it would need a compacted rubble filled base,

6 inches of concrete with metal grid stuff properly supported in it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A 7m long 4" wall will need piers for stability.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ok!

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Surely the roof rafters will provide the support!

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

one way of ensuring no-one disagrees.

Reply to
Autolycus

dangerous to build a 4 inch wall 2.5-3m high and 7m long without an piers. The slightest gust of wind (let alone eccentricities i building) will have the wall over in no time

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy