Blending valves for DHW

Anyone used/owned a "whole house" 22mm blending valve on the outlet of a stored water system?

Worth having?

Effects on flow rate?

Any brands to recommend / avoid?

May be ripping and replacing the current conventional cylinder with a Unistore unvented unit shortly. The current one is undersized and is hence run a little hotter to maintain adequate energy storage - but this makes the hot water rather too hot at basins etc. The new one will be larger, and given our hard water, probably run at no more than 60 degrees.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you're going to use Vaillant controls then it is probably worth it, the weekly legionella killing cycle causes scalding hot water, though it can be disabled. You can choose what time you want it to carry out the cycle though, I find it best when no one is going to use the hot water as its supposed to hold the tank at 70ºc for an hour.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Yes, good point. According to the specs for the 210L cylinder, it only loses heat at about 80W... at that rate it would take days to get back to 60 if you don't draw off much water!

Reply to
John Rumm

Only 80W, that's more than 2kWhr a day, it needs another foot of insulation around it.

Reply to
dennis

1.9 according to its spec. Should be enough to keep the airing cupboard warm, and not having the extra foot of insulation will mean there is space for clothes as well.
Reply to
John Rumm

I hadn't thought of this before. Does increasing the temperature make a big difference to scale formation? I know chemical reactions are faster when it is hot, but would 10C make that much difference in this case?

Reply to
Fred

Yes. Calcium sulphate is the problem, as this is what forms hard scale. It starts to precipitate from about 60 C and increases with temperature.

Reply to
Andy Dingley