Bleeding radiators

Is it correct that when bleeding radiators you should start with the furthest away from the combi bolier? In my case the combi is in the back bedroom, so I'd start in the downstairs bathroom. Or does it not make any difference where you start?

Reply to
AberTech

Just bleed them with furthest first, but the furthest one that's the highest on the system. Then bleed them round and work downward. Remember to keep topping up the system to its working pressure between each two, or maybe three, radiators. Just keep checking that the gauge hasn't fallen below 1 on the gauge.

Reply to
BigWallop

Er...what gauge & where?

Reply to
AberTech

On the other hand, the order doesn't *really matter.

I guess the assumption was that it's a sealed system with a pressure vessel and filling loop - in which case you have to feed some more water in to replace the air you've bled out.

If it's a vented system (with a feed & expansion tank - a *small* header tank, *not* the large one for the HW system - in the attic) it will top itself up. But make sure that the ball valve on the F&E tank hasn't stuck shut - otherwise you'll empty the tank and introduce a lot more air into the system!

Reply to
Set Square

You said it was a combi boiler, which are more common on sealed heating loop systems, so the pressure gauge would be on the front panel somewhere. If your combi boiler hasn't got one, then check that the header tank for the heating system is topping itself up, and that the ball float valve isn't sticking closed.

Reply to
BigWallop