"Blanking" technique for iron soil pipe socket

This weekend I want to remove a redundant length of (nearly horizontal) 4.5" iron soil pipe. It joins the stack into an iron socket.

I anticipate I won't be able to remove the pipe from the socket cleanly, and expect to need to use a disc cutter to tidy up the end once I've removed the pipe (probably via judicious use of a sledge hammer to encourage brittle fracture).

Is there a preferred technique for sealing the resulting hole?

Reply to
Vortex

You could cut the pipe square then fit a clamp on adaptor to PVC and then a rodding end. Might be useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)