Blanking Shelf Support Holes

Just fitting some cheap kitchen wall units. The interior had short rows of holes to receive shelf supports (the little 5mm round ones). I have extended the range of options by drilling some extra holes. But they are somewhat ugly. (The originals as much as the ones I carefully added!)

In the kit we got a very few horrible white plastic things for blanking other holes in the carcases. Are there any relatively nice ones available? Ideally white or chrome - just not cheap semi-translucent polythene like those supplied. More than happy to search but I can't think what they are called and haven't found any yet. Failing that - any good ideas how to make the holes less obvious?

Reply to
Rod

I can't say they worry me unduly given that they are functional as opposed to, say, damage, and are inside the cupboard.

If the insides are white, silicone sealant does a fair job of at least taking the eye away from holes.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think the term you are looking for is "hole plug". Google seems to have several US suppliers, but in the UK they are a bit more elusive.

You might also find something under "screw cap", but most of them actually need a screw present.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I thought of that (actually have a tube of white Trend worktop sealant which does a good job) - but I want to be able to move a shelf at a moment's notice. As does partner.

The holes would be fine if in a decent wood - but they show up ever so strongly against the white melamine surface.

Reply to
Rod

=================================== Try googling for 'blanking plugs' - there's plenty of choice. A more practical idea would be a strip of tape which could be removed / replaced if you change the position of the shelves.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Just paint the insides of the holes white ! That may be enough to calm your eye ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

How about rivets? A model shop should have a range. Alternatively, eyelets (as on shoelace holes) would cover the ragged edges but may not be long enough to stay in. Indeed, IME blanking plugs in kitchen cupboards tend to work loose and/or be knocked out and in time you're back to a row of holes. You might do better with something threaded, e.g. a short pan-head screw like a self-tapper.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Good idea - I had started down that route (in my thinking) and I might end up with that!

Reply to
Rod

Good God man, do this! Open cupboard, remove cup/plate/tin of beans etc. close cupboard, forget about it. If that is the only concern in your life I want to live in your world!

John

Reply to
John

My kids called them "plopper stoppers" for some reason. You can get a big bag (100?) from the B&Q kitchen section, at least that's where I got mine, form one of the larger wharehouse branches..

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Thanks for the ideas - I think the Rolls-Royce answer is probably these:

But a) relatively expensive and b) quite a lot of work to drill out all the holes to the larger size.

Will have a look in B&Q - unfortunately local one is not a Warehouse.

I did look for 'blanking plugs' but whatever else I tried I got tons of inappropriate hits (e.g. engineering).

Reply to
Rod