Blanking off gas pipe

Refurbishing my kitchen, I have found a capped off gas pipe protruding from the wall about 2½ inches, just where I want to put the washing machine. The pipe is buried in the wall. I am hoping if I cut into the wall I will find an elbow, and will be able to unscrew it and fit a blanking plug. Does this sound feasible? I should have said, the pipe is iron. (House built

1960's).TIA
Reply to
Ed Rear

Are you sure that the pipe is live....?

What are the other pipes in the house and can you find a supply to the iron pipe....?

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

I'd try and find an easier part of the pipe to work on and cap it there - unless you've got solid floors etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)