Black PVC Cable?

Was there ever a black PVC 7/.029 cable made. My son has bought a house (probably 60s) which has black cable for the ring main. The insulation on the cable appears to be normal,and is Red /Black with uninsulated earth as usual, but this black outer seems to "pull off" the conductors easier than PVC does when stripping. I just hope it is not rubber. I think BICC is embossed on the outer.

John

Reply to
JohnW

TRS (tough rubber sheathed) as opposed to VIR (vulcanised indiarubber). Most likely well beyond its sell by date, if disturbed will fall apart.

Reply to
<me9

I have seen both black,brown and white sheathed t&e,so,I don`t see anything to worry about.Before the days of metric cables most of it was stranded.

Reply to
mark

Yes, I bought a reel of it arounf 1967 to extend the ring main in my house; it is still installed and in perfect condition. As you say, the outer sheath was easier to pull away than modern 2.5mm PVC T&E.

CRB

Reply to
crb

You should be able to tell if it's rubber or PVC by smelling it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)