Black/purple paint (aubergine)?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black paint (for rolling not spraying) that has a slight deep purple look to it (like an Aubergine - not the red/brown 'aubergine' colour normally found). Basically a black with a hint of purple (like a real Aubergine?? I'm trying to paint my boat this colour but cant find a dark enough purple.

Reply to
macson

Buy three tins of paint of the same brand... Blue, Red, Black

mix the blue and red together first 50/50 and then start adding the black sparingly till you get the colour you require. ...or just go to a shop that mixes it for you. :-)

Reply to
George

I've lurking in this group for a while but not actually managed to post anything yet.

Depending on the type of boat you have I would be more concerned about identifying the correct (marine) paint to use than just the colour and then see what's available in that range, normally marine type paint is either a single stage polyurethane or two stage acrylic.

The early types of household paint where linseed oil but they are now nearly all Alkyd resin based which just might suffice your requirement, either way you can have the paint mixed and matched at car paint mixing factors, although I think the marine type of paints tend to be standard premix meaning you have little choice in the actual range of colour.

There's several purple colours in the BS-381c or RAL range that may suit but I couldn't say if they would stand up to the marine environment.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Go to Sainsbury's (* other supermarkets are available). Buy Aubergine. Take Aubergine to D-I-Y store where operative will point their 'paint- colour-analyser-wand-thingy' at it and then produce you a tin of paint to match.

... yes.. seriously!!

Reply to
mike.peppert

That sort of colour is often two tone: to get the right effect (looks black until a bright light shines on it) you might try painting black and then covering with a tinted varnish.

Reply to
djc

Aubergine when done in two-tone paint is IIRC done with a blue basecoat and a red transparent varnish.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, that sounds right, filter out the red, reflect off the blue base, filter out some more red: result near black apart from some refraction through the top coat.

Reply to
djc