Black particles in mains water for a few years now... Soil??

Doesn't the fact that that the bathroom water is also manky, but a different sort of manky, suggest that whole problem derives from factors inside the house, rather than the incoming water quality?

What is your neighbour's water like? If their's is OK, then again it makes it much more likely to be your problem rather than the water company's.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Actually, notably *not* in the North and West. There is a known correlation, established over many years and in many geographies throughout the world between softness in water and increased incidence of ischaemic heart disease and cerebrovascular disease.

Depending on your definition of "good"

That's pretty disgusting.

I prefer to read the analysis on the bottle and to choose between suppliers rather than taking what the local draft supplier wishes to deliver.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then you probably have copper oxides (black, insoluble) and carbonates (green., slightly soluble) in the system somewhere.

Probably your internal pipework is crapping on you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cuprous oxide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's wrong with peat in the water?

Thinks ... why don't they make whisky in Yorkshire?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is there also a correlation between soft water areas and deep fried Mars bars, though?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd rather have a bit of peat than the tonnes of dissolved carbonates in some tap water or the high bacterial and mineral content of bottled water. Your choice to pay through the nose for bottled water though.

Of the places I have lived:

Birminghams was soft but full of either rust from the pipe from Wales or peat from the source, very fine brown deposit in any storage tanks.

Bristol soft again but not as soft a Brums, very slight brown staining.

St Albans, very hard, descale the kettle almost every week hard. Scale in various shades of brown, green and blue.

Alston, originally hard (descale the kettle once a month or longer) from an adit on the hillside half a mile away. Scale pure white. They put in a new main a couple of years ago, our water now comes from Burnhope Reservoir, it's soft with very slight brown staining.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not my experience of Bristol. The waters right off the mendips, through barrow tanks and pumped into the city from there... But maybe it varys depending on where you are in Bristol. I was in Clifton, and I didn't think the scale in my kettle was that bad, but friends over the other side of the river had to descale their kettle regularly. (until they started to use one of those jug filters for kettle water)

Where I am now, we have the opposite problem - southish of Dartmoor. I've seen the underground reservoir they built over a natural spring on the side of Dartmoor. Pipes are shiny. (to the extent that the local steam railway people expresses a little concern to me when I did a spot of volunteering for them!)

We do occasionally get some fine particulate in the water - usually after a water pipe burst. Local water pressure is 8-9 bar, so that happens every now & then.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Only if the water is so loaded with contaminants that it can be used as cooking oil.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

That depends on what you buy

and where you buy it.

None seem that appealing....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interesting point. It does seem that the Scots do it to themselves.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was in Clifton as well I don't remember having to descale the kettle, at least not like St Albans or here before they changed the source. My water would have come from Victroia Reservoir on Oakfield Road. I thought that was fed via 22" and 18" mains from Barrow Tanks via gravity. Many moons ago they held an open day at that reservoir, so the info is from memory of that and may be faulty... Is the steam pumping engine still in victorian stone the building next to what is now a carpark, it was the coal yard. Bristol Water also (or did) extract water from the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm the OP... just going back to clarify my problem again.... I had a water filter fitted (a sediment filter) some time back, and the filter element turned brown very quickly. I have tried flushing out the rising main by disconnecting the supply hose to the washing machine and letting it flow at full pressure into the sink for a few minutes. This works wonders, as for a few days the water is noticeably cleaner all over the house. After this period though, it just reverts back to 'unclean mode' again.

This tells me that it probably is not the area's water with the problem, but surely my supply line. But if I have no leak on my property, then I don't know. This is causing a lot of distress in the house, I mean nobody wants to shower in sediment filled water, much less use it for drinking and cooking, it causes sore, itchy eyes and skin discomfort. The county council have been no help to me either. It's really awful to live with this sorry water supply, however its caused.

Reply to
None

IMHO it tells you that the problem is downstream of where your supply tees off from the water main... and that could equally well be inside your own pipework, couldn't it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Too tight to pay for a distillery.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Dave Fawthrop writes

While working in Armagh in Ireland we discovered that the water was brown when we ran a bath. After thinking about the prospect of the hotel having mixed sewage in with the tap water we decided it was probably peat and had our baths. Only one of us could have a bath per night due to the fact that we were working late and the hotel turned the heating off early.

When we were sitting in the hotel bar of an evening there would be a brief power cut as the hotel transferred over to it's own generator as it was cheaper to run from a generator than from mains power in the evening!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Hmm, I doubt it.

Have you tried waving a magnet at these small black particles? I have the same problem with water supplied via the public water main to a farmhouse. The particles in my case are attracted by a magnet and are iron oxide particles from the water main. So we installed a filter and a magnetic trap which removes the particles.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've dived in Barrow tanks... Don't know much about their history or supply other than from a friend of mine who does a lot of caving on the medips...

Victoria res. was still there when I left - 5 years ago - I didn't know there was a steam pumping engine still there though!

I had one of those glass bulb kettles when there (lived in clifton for 5 years) and remember descalling it & my coffee engine about once a year. I've been in this part of Devon now for over 5 years and there's not a hint of scale at all! (The glass one descalled itself then got broke )-:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

|!On 2007-04-22 07:44:05 +0100, Dave Fawthrop |! said: |! |!> On 21 Apr 2007 23:30:10 -0700, terry wrote: |!> |!> |!On Apr 21, 7:08 pm, Owain wrote: |!> |!> Andy Hall wrote: |!> |!> > Drinking tap water is a bad idea anywhere. |!> |!>

|!> |!> Doesn't it depend where the tap is? |!> |!>

|!> |!> Owain |!> |! |!> |!Drinking tap water anywhere bad idea??? |!> |!> In many parts of the UK it is a *good* idea, notably in the North and West. |! |!Actually, notably *not* in the North and West. There is a known |!correlation, established over many years and in many geographies |!throughout the world between softness in water and increased incidence |!of ischaemic heart disease and cerebrovascular disease. |! |! |!> We get our water straight off the peat moors. and so is very good. |! |!Depending on your definition of "good"

Soft and not been through any kidneys is good

|!> Yorkshire Water have only, within the last few years, got the peat out of |!> the water. This appeared as a very fine black/brown dust. |! |!That's pretty disgusting.

Note past tense.

|!> You have to find out where *your* water comes from, YW gets its water from |!> various places, and pumps it around in times of drought. |!> |!> You can get the regular analysis of your drinking water off the web |!> somewhere. |! |!I prefer to read the analysis on the bottle and to choose between |!suppliers rather than taking what the local draft supplier wishes to |!deliver.

One thing you do not get on a bottle is Coliform bacteria. As bottle water can have sat on a shelf at room temperature for *two* *years* I treat it with suspicion.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|!None wrote: |! |!> Basically, in every glass of water you pour from the mains kitchen |!> tap, it contains some small dark particles. I know these are soil |!> particles, |! |!Hmm, I doubt it. |! |!Have you tried waving a magnet at these small black particles? I have |!the same problem with water supplied via the public water main to a |!farmhouse. The particles in my case are attracted by a magnet and are |!iron oxide particles from the water main. So we installed a filter and a |!magnetic trap which removes the particles.

The iron pipes which *brought* me my water are long gone I watched them being removed. Everything is copper or blue plastic now, much better :-)

OP being in Dublin Ireland, maybe has not had this advantage.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop