Black pads underneath s/s sink?

I always thought they were just to help separate them when they were stacked (nested together) in the shop, and to avoid damage thereto.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm in the process of cleaning up an old 1968 (as date-stamped on the taps) stainless steel sink + drainer + taps. I'm very happy with the result, come up very well and the sink depth is much more than you get nowadays... and it has only cost me a new sink waste & plug...

However, there is a black tar or bitumen like square pad stuck on the underside of the sink (and another under the drainer) that has mostly broken away. Another s/s sink I'm chucking out had a similar thing.

Anyone know what these are for (are they to deaden sound?) and if/how to fix up?

Thanks, Paul.

Reply to
Paul Clarke

Sound deadening - like inside the doors of your car.

Reply to
John

Yes - they're sound deadening panels. You'll get self adhesive replacements from an automotive paint supplier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman