black friday

any bargains to be had?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Sorry i don;t buy stuff in black not enogh colour contrast. :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm offering a half days work for my half day rate.

Reply to
David Lang

I'm going to watch TV for twice as long and only claim the same pension.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I want the whole stupid thing to die. It's an Americanism tied to Thanksgiving that makes f*ck all sense here. It's effectively their version of the January Sales. Sort of.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well you can buy a HP pavilion 24xw monitor in Currys for £149, or you could pop over to the USA and buy the same monitor for $119.

So that's the worst £/$ fx rate ever.

Reply to
Andrew

Hear, hear.

Reply to
Huge

But everything would co-ordinate and you'd look very stylish.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

and black is very thinning .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Last year in Tesco

they had Laptops for 99 pounds and 50in TVs for 199

OK they were no-name brands but at that price what's to lose?

I didn't buy last year but this year I need both (well not necessary the

50in version) so I'm hoping for similar again

tim

Reply to
tim...

99 or 199 quid.
Reply to
whisky-dave

Well. I decided I needed a laptop mainly so I could lie in bed an watch TV and read books and play games on it.

I paid 199 IIRC - a Tosh satellite.

The good news: It had bags of RAM (4GB I think) a TB of disk, a rather better than expected sound system wit speakers in TOP of the keyboard. Underneath, with a a duvet there, is not cleaver. It also runs Linux perfectly. The keyboard is not bad.

The bad news: a year later one of the plasticky USB sockets has fallen to pieces, and the LCD screen has the worst viewing angle and contrast of any LCD I have ever seen. I can JUST about watch a video if I have it a JUST the right angle...

So be warned. Build quality, sound quality, keyboard usability, screen quality - tehse are all things you need to check are adequate for YOUR intended usage.

Large TVs are getting alarmingly cheap. Mostly the pictures are very good. However again be warned. I grabbed a panasonic smart TV, and the picture quality was great. Sound was good. but the user interface is from hell. Designed by a teenager in all probability. It wouldn't stream Iplayer properly either, Or didn't. Yesterday I pointed it at the beeb and it suddenly seems to be working. That may be more about the beeb moving away from Flash to HTML 5, or maybe the set firmware has upgraded itself over the internet.

So once again, test and try before you buy.

Currys is actually these days a decent store to visit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I've already got a branded PC that cost 350 that because it doesn't like running W10 is a a pile of scrap

so next time I'll only be risking 99 pounds

tim

Reply to
tim...

I've not risked a single pound :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oooh. give it to me and I'll put Linux on it!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tesco/Sainsbury's/Asda 40-43in TVs @149 50in @ 199. Mid range Brands Had to read the box very carefully to find out if it had internet "catch up" capability. Both had WiFi ticked but only the smaller one said that it came with an internet browser. The larger one majored on using the WiFi to "pair" with your PC, but as my PC isn't capable of paring in that way such a feature is useless to me. If it did have catch up via an internal browser, the info on the box didn't say so.

Offers on small goods. That new smaller Dyson was also on an offer, but still cost about 300 pounds more than it is worth. I guess that it isn't selling well.

Paltry offers on Laptops (including at Pissy World)

Garmin dash cam for 80 quid- 50 quid off at Sainsbury's

Nothing else of interest (to me)

tim

Reply to
tim...

I tend to think of sales as being surplus current excess stock sold off at a discount. Perhaps to make way for the latest models. As in traditional New Year etc sales.

But so much of it in this sort of sale seems to be old or inferior spec stuff brought in specially to sell at what seems a low price.

I looked at customer reviews for one of these. Got 4.8 (out of 5) for picture, and 4.6 for sound. I don't know of any TV on the market at any price that deserves 4.6 out of 5 for sound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Misprint, probably should have been 0.46!

Reply to
Capitol

Most people don't have HiFi and are happy with 128kb/s MP3.

Reply to
dennis

How things change. I remember getting a laptop that was over a grand new. And desktop pc ditto.

If they still work somewhere they aren't worth a penny now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr