Black floor - can I tile onto it?

Hello, I live in a 7 year old house built by Morris homes. I'm planning in tiling the hall way and have ripped up the carpet and underlay to discover a black floor. I was going to tile straight onto this but a friend has told me that he did the same in his house and the tile adhesive never dried as the black floor is some form of damp proof membrane.

I've had a look at my floor and around the edges of tha hall some of the flooring is cracked and I can prise up a small piece of this black surface. The black layer is about half an inch think and is very hard

- almost like cinder block but without all the bubbles in it. Under the black layer I can see a concrete floor.

What is the best way to tile my hall? Should I put down marine ply and tile onto that? If so, how do I fix the marine ply to the floor? Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete

He should have used a setting cement, not a drying one, then.

I'd try a small section with quality adhesive..I will plug Ardrurit Rapid set - from Ardex ... and see if it adheres.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's approx half inch thick it's likely to be asphalt maybe? Don

Reply to
Donwill