Black & Decker Dustbuster

My wife uses a Black & Decker Dustbuster and recently it has lost power and doesn't seem to recharge I noticed that the plug which connects the base unit to the mains remains cold. Usually it is warm to touch I assume that the plug incorporates a transformer. How can I check this? If this transformer is faulty can I buy a replacement? Any advice would be appreciated Blair

Reply to
Blair

Forget it, its Dust(bust). :-)

A black&decker stockist will supply you with a new one.

Reply to
ben

Your battery is knackered. Financially it won't be worth fixing but if you like to tinker with stuff then you could always open it up and see what kind of cells it takes.

Do these small hand held vacuums actually work? I've never been convinced by the mains operated ones let alone rechargeable type. You end up picking the stuff up with one hand and feeding it into the nozzle while trying to convince yourself that you're saving time.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Actually, I'm wondering how you'd know if it was busted.

I'm having a bit of a clearout, and mine goes in the dustbin, as the only dust it's gathered is on it!

I'm too nice to give it to a charity shop.

Is there one of these things that actually works? If there is I'd like to know

mike

Reply to
mike ring

They have a use apparently, but you may not want to try this at home folks! ;-)

A friend of mine was running a sideshow at a big NHS conference a few years back (he works for a company that hires out AV gear). One of the "nuggets" of information that he remembered, was a section on "odd" A&E stories. Apparently the dustbuster is one of the primary causes of penile shaft injury in the uk! (something to do with it having a large, sharp rotating fan blade only a few inches back from the sucking end!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks to all who replied. The main use my wife makes of it is in sucking up flies mainly in our conservatory. It is extremely effective in doing this. She also used it for crumbs and such which is easier to use than dragging out the main cleaner. We did enjoy the replies and they lightened up a dull day Blair

Reply to
Blair

John Rumm wrote in news:43110d29$0$1277$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

I dug mine out, but it doesn't seem suitable, even for recreational use.

I'm also a bit intrigued by penile *shaft* injury. Seems an unlikely outcome, I would think you'd be more likely to trim the top off your todger.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I think they take 4 x sub C tagged cells (available at most model shops).

To test the charger you will need a multimeter .. probably set on 20V DC and applied to the two contacts in the charging base (it may say on the transformer / plug thing what the output voltage is).

I think I did mine a while back and it gave it a new lease of life ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm not sure they could take it anyway .. wouldn't it be considered 'electrical goods' even if low voltage?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m wrote in news:3o63h11a4dme2lv9dlubtv2qsrisanmhjg@

4ax.com:

Some still take electricals, if they have a tame PAT tester.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Ah .. maybe ours hasn't such then? Would 'everything' need PAT testing, even if only low voltage was coming out of the sealed, two pin, plastic earth pin, transformer bit would you know Mike?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wouldn't have thought it necessary, I don't know exackerly what's involved - but you can bet it's required.

I expect it includes an eyeball physical condition, if nothing else.

I hoped to get a job doing it, but when I first raised it, there were too many active retired qualified engineers already on the books.

Recently a chance came up, but I decided there were too many hoops (criminal investigation etc) to jump through these days for a job sitting in a back room PATting old light fittings, and dumping 1963 eighttracks ;-)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

If it was less than 25 volts single phase, and originally designed and type tested to the SELV standard (Safety Extra Low Voltage) I'd say no. Hopefully if it was made by a reputable manufacturer it would be.

But then OTOH it could be a "street market special", and how would the charity shop know?

I own 2 pat testers, but I've stopped using them. Because it seems I'm not qualified despite having a degree in Electronics and 30 years experience to issue a certificate. To be qualified I'd have to go to the local college of FE and sit in a class full of pimply youfs for a couple of days.

AAMOF more and more I'm seeing the PAT testing scheme falling into disuse. Most (say 70%) of the nhs equipment I get to work on has a label indicating it hasn't been tested since 2,000/2,001.

It never was mandatory for electrical equipment in the workplace to be PAT tested, merely regularly inspected. In simple equipment like kettles with class 1 insulation (IE earthed) it is enough to inspect the appliance, mainslead in particular, for damage or deterioration.

Where class 2 equipment (double insulated) is concerned PAT testing couldn't test much anyway.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

LOL. Sounds a bit like BS5750 when it first came out writing a QA Manual .. often a 'job for the boys' etc ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tis the phrase they used... not sure if that means it is as a generic "at any place along the exposed bit" description, or they really did mean under the chin strap! ;-)

It don't sound pleasent either way!

Reply to
John Rumm

Does B&D count? ;-)

Well, that's the rub,, and possibly why ours won't touch anything electrical (well they didn't the last time I asked).

Shame. I see more and more 'real world' experience being 'superceeded' by forms that are often meaningless (IMHO).

To be qualified I'd have to go to

Might be a laugh .. long as you don't mind being called 'Grandad' .. ;-)

And EVERY time I visit such places (delivering / collecting family members etc) I see plugs with the outer cord outside the cable grip, broken equipment held together with tape etc etc .. ;-(

Common sense you mean (often anyway)?

Ah .. ho hum .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m