Bl***y mixer taps.

Decided to fit a nice shiny new one in the kitchen. 1/2" inputs, obviously, since my hot water comes from a storage system with a header tank. First thing was that the 1/2" threads were about 1/2" longer than the old fitting, and the pipes to it rigid copper and of course not that easy to get at. So decide to cut down the threads to match the old. Get it all done to discover the internals of the damn thing must be for high pressure stuff as the hot flow is far worse than before. Even the cold seems lower too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, most modern taps require high pressure supply. You have to hunt for low pressure ones.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That sounds nice.

That is standard.

You what?

There are low and high pressure taps. You should have asked me before they allowed you into the tool box. Richard, now you can't even take them back. Now you will have to use buckets all the time to take water from the bathroom to the kitchen.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian McArdle wrote, removing *all* attributions this time:

Why? Easy job for someone "handy".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Because the end is the seal and it should have a machined end. I suppose you could go at it with a file to make it smooth and square and use a thick washer and a dab of LS-X, but it seems like a lot of bother and would surely invalidate the guarantee.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing the atts.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I do not state the writer's name, as a mixture of top and bottom posting by subsequent authors can cause misattribution. You can always go back up the thread to work out who said what and this would be much more reliable that the usually incorrect quotes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Cutting platic pipe with a hacksaw is normal thing to do in the hands of a craftsman.

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter and install some flexible tap connectors. Boy is he dumb. His boiler hasn't been serviced for 18 years and now this.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Quite, my statement was somewhat tongue in cheek. However..

I (and everyone else) should not have to do that. There are various "how to post" articles around which may be useful in explaining this. You wouldn't (*I hope*) post without including any context at all, which IMO is nearly as bad.

It's easy to quote correctly, just because a minority of others can't or won't doesn't mean that you should join them, which you are doing, by posting with no flippin' atts. *at all*.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Richard Cranium always cuts himself when using tools

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is a classic. This must go in the FAQ on how not to do things

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy to do a proper job and not use them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If he filed the end flat, square and smooth I don't think he was asking too much. Although I would have looked to see if the supply pipe could have been shortened which would be very easy with a pipe slicer and a couple of speedfits.

Generally the two hole mixers tend to be suitable for lower pressure supplies. Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I generally agree, but it is the best for an incompetent like Mr Cranium. With enough space flexible connectors are fine.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The difference is I've got rudimentary metal working skills. ;-) So am capable of filing it square after cutting.

Both perfect - and not even tightened up that hard. No sealing compound - just the fibre washers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Richard, do not tell pokies. You always have blood over the tools when you do anything.

More porkies. He now has to use buckets to take water to the kitchen. Sad isn't it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My reader does this automatically. If you'd included the attribute to Chris's post that would be there too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not for dribble who can't even cut plastic pipe.

Rigid copper pipe helps in making the tap rigid too - if mounted in a steel sink. Less connectors than flexible so less chance of a leak. Floppy taps are nasty things. I'd have expected a 'pro' like dribble to notice this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wot - and spoil my beautifully bent pipework? ;-) As I'm at home I have a decent workshop handy, so cutting and filing the fitting was no big deal.

That's what I guessed. Wrong, as it happens.

I'm not sure. It gives a nice round stream from either hot or cold which the old one didn't.

How much extra ink would it take to mark the box as to what it's designed for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)