Bl***y B&Q

Really crap instructions for my new bath from B&Q. I adjusted the bath and got it nice and level. I then thought I would try out the bath panel. Being inexperienced in bath fitting. I hadn't appreciated that the height of the bath had to be set exactly, to allow the panel to fit snugly at top and bottom.

Re-adjusted the bath and have now discovered that it is not possible for the centre leg to actually reach the floor! I suppose I will have to put some plywood under it. But it would have been nice to have instructions about getting the height right for the panel.

I am feeling a bit arsy with them now, so I will take a picture in to the store at the weekend. At the very least it will inconvenience them when I demand some plywood.

Reply to
deckertim

Why would anyone need instructions on how to fit a bath and its panel?

Its hardly rocket science.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I put plywood under bath legs as a matter of course. It helps spread the load better than floorboards, especially if they're not T&G, or sitting fortuitously over a joist.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for the compassion. Whilst you may be able to foresee everything without any instructions, lesser mortals such as myself might benefit from some instruction. Particularly if it is something they've never done before.

They could also have pointed out in the instructions that the holes for the taps could be fitted wherever the installer chose, but that holes would need to be drilled. This would have saved me a phone call and saved someone in the store having to get paged to answer the question.

Despite people slagging off IKEA, I would commend them for the instructions on assembling their furniture, where they have clearly taken the time to consider exactly how to get across all the vital steps of construction, without even using any written instructions.

Reply to
deckertim

Many things that are obvious when you've been doing things for a while aren't so when starting out, or doing some jobs for the first time.

It's quite easy to not fit bath correctly I reckon

Reply to
chris French

I guess so; why else would the YOPs (1980s) that put my bath in have done so with the slope running away from the plughole.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fair comment. It's one thing not to expect instructions if you're buying from a plumber's merchant, but from B&Q you could expect a bit more hand-holding I think.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks Christian, I was thinking of doing this anyway, but it certainly makes sense to help get things rock-solid.

Reply to
deckertim

It's usual to have to trim the bottom of the panel a bit - bitch of a job as it's too floppy to saw easily, and too hard for a Stanley knife which is likely to slip and slice you.

The panels often have a wide flat section at the base and it's often possible to slot that behind a length of skirting board which can be run along the bottom,

David

Reply to
Lobster

I agree with the previous poster, it isn't really the responsibilty of a diy shop to supply instructions on how to fit a bath. Plumbing fittings don't have instructions, screws don't, some electrical fittings do - but by no means all you need to know, hand tools don't, etc. Power tools have safety info, but they don't tell you how to make stuff with them.

Many stores have information sheets, and in French stores I've seen a superb range of books on sale, but that's about them promoting their wares, not an obligation.

And most staff know less than nothing.

I'd suggest the OP chalk it up to experience and not blame the store - or demand that bits of wood should be included. I know it can be hard sometimes to accept "I f***** it up", but we've all done it, and learnt from it.

Reply to
dom

Its a bit like going to a supermarket and buying ingrediants for a cake, you wouldn't expect the staff to tell how to make the cake...you'd buy a book.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, if I went to B&Q top buy sheets of plywood and lengths of timber I wouldn't expect them to come with instructions on how to make a table... yes, I'd buy a book!

And if I buy a box of readymix cake-mixture from Tesco then I'd certainly expect that to come with instructions...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not really possible to trim the bottom in this case because the bath is a P type shape, giving a wider end for the shower. Therefore pretty important to get the height spot on.

Cross section of the panel is

xxx x x x x x xxx

The bottom lip provides the necessary rigidity when clipped onto the floor.

Thanks.

Reply to
deckertim

Right,but how do you make the lemon meringue pie? Do the lemons,cornflour,eggs,caster sugar come with instructions?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, that's the same as asking "how do you make the table?" when shopping at B&Q

David

Reply to
Lobster

Two facts:

1, the fitting for the centre leg is not long enough. 2.. They have provided some instructions and these are clearly inadequate. If nothing had been provided, then I suppose I would have got on with it. However they have tried to provide some instructions and they are simply rubbish. I think the reason for this is that they source the parts from several manufacturers, but don't bother to try and put together a consolidated instructions leaftlet.

I am an awkward bugger and will take some delight in complaining at my local B&Q. They have inconvenienced me, so I will do it to them in return.

Reply to
deckertim

I believe he is from Liverpool Tim. You have to make allowances.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Same author probably wrote the instructions for a 'Wash' cloakroom basin we purchased from Bathstore.com then.

The template for the two wall brackets is hopelessly wrong. On the template the distance of the brackets from the room corner and the distance of the brackets from the sink's ends have been transposed.

Something looked wrong but I couldn't work out what it was until the screw holes had been drilled and I started to fix the brackets. They overlapped...

I've written to Bathstore.com to tell them and the store manager is supposed to be getting in touch. Three weeks ago. Meanwhile, no mention of sorting the instructions so holes, no doubt, continue to be drilled in the wrong place.

It's not supposed to reach the floor, you are meant to put some 3X2 timbers laid flat underneath it and then the threaded screw adjusters wind down to it, this is for extra support in the middle of the bath, although many people put timbers under all legs

Reply to
Phil L

?? I don't see why there is any more reason to lay timbers under the central foot than there is under any of the others though.

David

Reply to
Lobster