Bl**dy UPS

Waited in for them today - costs me a parking pass. Someone else was at the door earlier, so doorbell works. As it always does, being wired and fed from the mains.

Found a card from them - the parcel can be collected from a local shop after 5 pm. Except it's not local, or rather not within easy walking distance. Just as far away as the PO sorting office.

I can see why UPS are taking business from RM. Cheaper by offering a poorer service. This isn't the first time they've left a card when I was in, either. Third time this year alone. But have just delivered the next day. It's now going to cost me petrol to collect it.

Never have this problem with my postie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Make sure you tell the shipper. It might change their service of choice if people complain about it.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, I'm not sure how they work out you are out. Several people have mentioned this stupidity, so it has to be common. Their management need to get this by the handle and bash it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Being cynical, it's easier and quicker to post a card through the door than get the parcel from the van, and wait for the door to be answered. Especially if there's no re-delivery, as it appears in this case..

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Medway Handyman

Today's example here is Yodel. Some network bits for my son, where the seller insists on signed for delivery at his, the cardholder's, address. I checked his house and found the card. I can't possibly house sit at his place for the 8 hours they suggest and collection is a 50+ mile round trip.

There has to be a better way.

Reply to
Bill

Yes. DPD.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You waited in and it cost you a "parking pass" to park your car at your home???? What is a "parking pass" when your car is parked at your home?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Simple possibility. He lives in an area where residents get free on-street parking overnight, but have to pay for the space during the day.

Another possibility, he was house sitting for someone and had to buy a one day parking permit, as he was there outside the permitted hours.

Reply to
John Williamson

Last delivery I had via UPS, I know I was home all day with doors/windows wide open, went upstairs to check what their tracker said, and it told me I'd been carded, I didn't even get the card, their depot is a 48 mile round trip.

Currently waiting for a delivery from China, UPS tracking stopped working for my number, emailed the supplier to find out why, turns out the item has been returned to them instead of delivered to me.

They're my last favourite courier.

Reply to
Andy Burns

London.

As for UPS, no problems here. Delivers at 1600 +/- 30 mins. Same driver since before I can remember, so probably the last 10 years. If we aren't about the parcel will be left tucked away.

Of course this is out in the sticks where crime comprises 3 perhaps 4 breakins/attempted breakins a year, one or two bits of criminal damage down in town a month (drunks) and the occasional fight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's high-crime for round here.

Reply to
Davey

I've had this with some couriers, but not UPS, who I regard as quite good. OTOH, they deliver to me often enough and it's usually the same driver.

It may be worth complaining to your UPS depot - it might be just one bad delivery driver. If it happened to me, I could provide them with the CCTV recording.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, I had to do that with Parcel Farce when they claimed they had delivered but the CCTV showed they were never in the area. Looks Dave like you've just found a use for your in car cctv camera!

Reply to
Capitol

I have two cars, one with a resident's pass. The restriction is only from

11.30 - 12.30, to prevent commuter all day parking, since there is a station close by. So I usually just go shopping for that hour. But of course if I do you can be sure that's when a delivery will be attempted. So if I need to stay in, I put a visitor pass on the second car.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This was from CPS, so needed a signature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CPS? Why does the Sunject and body mention UPS?

All our stuff delivered by UPS does as well but it doesn't stop them leaving the parcel without a direct signature from us...

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the comment it's quicker to card than extract the package, take it to door, try and raise some one, get signature(*).

Much higher chance of some one being in for an arranged re-delivery than a random delivery day (tracking available or not), particularyly in an urban area where most households are all out at work during the day.

(*) It's enlightening to watch a package that you are expecting being delivered by DPD. Last one I had was drop 75 (delivery about 1300) and you can see the vans progress around the wider area on a map.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

From CPC via UPS?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brilliant! I've been looking for this one but thought it was NTNON.

Reply to
Mark

UPS was delivering a parcel from CPS which needed a signature. Smaller things from CPS come in a jiffy bag an are delivered by RM, and I have a quite superb postman.

There's nowhere to leave a parcel here safely - other than with a neighbour. But of course that is going to take longer than just ringing my fooking doorbell. ;-)

It's the only likely explanation. I was in the workshop all morning (apart from making a cuppa, etc) and not doing anything noisy there. One of the doorbells is mounted just outside the workshop door and impossible to miss.

Most of the cheap delivery services - Jumbo etc - only seem to get paid when the parcel is delivered. Have had a delivery from them in the evening, after they'd tried earlier.

Collecting the parcel from the shop was fun too. Took the assistant ages to enter all the details on the terminal before getting me to sign. Just as well the shop wasn't busy.

He also took ages going through all the parcels on the shelves. I could see it on the floor - the only large white one there with CPC on it, and told him so, but he kept on going through the lot. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)