Bl**dy Naff Connector pin

Had to get the mini-PCB drill out today.

Ordered some RF coax cable and a BNC connector from CPC,

cable inner conductor is 0.7mm and the hole in the soldered pin allegedly from the spec sheet is 0.7mm. Of course, with the bits here, and me at the top of a ladder with soldering iron in teeth, wire into pin don't go.

Would it have been beyond the wit of them that design standard connectors to give a little tolerance clearance for compatibility?

Hmmm.... Last time I assembled BNC connectors and cable for fun was about 20 years ago. Had no such problems then. Has something changed? Quality of connectors perhaps?

Quite readily I see junk in Maplins, so order from CPC. Seems to be going the same way unfortunately.

' '

' '

Reply to
Adrian C

BNCs seem to come in all sorts of flavours. As does co-ax, I suppose. At one time in the UK 75 ohm BNC was just for video - RF was 50 ohm.

I have some BNCs that can be fitted with a screwdriver. My others need a crimp tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, also they often forget about the plating on the connector making it smaller.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Possibly the wrong connector in the bag, had a few of them a couple of years ago dong a CCTV job.

Reply to
CJ

er conductor of 0.64 or 0.65mm diameter depending on which sheet you look a= t.

Reply to
docholliday

conductor of 0.64 or 0.65mm diameter depending on which sheet you look at.

RG59U+Flex Coaxial Cable

'RG59U' cable (made for CCTV use) is possibly a tad/teeny bit oversize, 0.7mm then. I see other RG59/U cable spec'd at 0.65mm. But even used with that slightly smaller core size on a 0.7mm hole, where is the solder/flux supposed to flow?

Never mind, dremel drill saves the day. Opened out the pin hole to

0.85mm :-)
Reply to
Adrian C

Can I ask why you're using such an odd BNC connector? Crimped ones are the norm and the crimp tool not expensive. And rather easier to use up a ladder than a soldering iron. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Am I missing something? On the spec sheet you've given above it says 1.7mm diameter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Typo I think.

Reply to
Adrian C

Just force of old habit. Used to work in a research laboratory forever soldering up BNC and SMA connectors.

However I was recently avoiding CCTV stuff in a rack with more than 20 cameras attached, and the installers (who really shouldn't have placed 'their' DVR gear in the midst of 'our' server gear, but never mind...) obviously had an issue sourcing 20 premade 1m patch leads, and decided to make their own using crimp BNCs.

Connectivity was dreadful, the crimps badly done.

Just shoving some video cables innocently about dropped a few cameras showing on the console monitor. Crap. If this is crimps they can keep it.

Also they had started their install by first attaching an IEC mains lead to the back of their recorders, and then dropping the weight of 20+ RG59 cables on top of it, so that one day the IEC will self uninstall...

Ah well. Left it. My job is IT and this was someone else bag, and I had enough stern notice through several 'do not touch - this item is maintained by xxxx' stuck on plugtops to warn me off meddling :)

Reply to
Adrian C

It takes considerable effort to screw up a BNC crimp. They must have scoured the country to find someone to do it. However, if they screwed that up can you imagine the mess they'd have made when attempting to solder one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not that surprising.. a lot of these jobs could be done by trained monkeys who would make a better job anyway;!..

We've used crimp BNC's and N's and TNC for years. No problems whatsoever. Reason ?. Correct crimp tool's and decent crimp plugs and sockets..

As well as crimped power and equipment plus vehicle wiring and same again correct tools for the job and good spec'ed crimps...

Reply to
tony sayer

OK, I'll become a convert.

FWIW, I snapped a row of them, top of this photo. (not the best of focus).

suppose the centre pin also requires crimping - did they do it? Could that have been the movement discontinuity issue? Like I said, they probably had the option to use premade standard length patch leads. Just didn't do it.

Reply to
Adrian C

Had a couple of failed BNC crimps recently. My fault, poor prep of the cable, I'd cut through acouple of the inner strands, so the crimp wasn't tight on the remainder. I'm more careful now.

Must buy a proper stripping tool for coax, they're cheap enough.

Reply to
<me9

Yes of course it does!.. And the outer sleeve connector...

Well making your own is fine as long as you do a decent job of it!...

Reply to
tony sayer