Biscuit strengthening

Hi all. I am glueng some timber framework wth biscuits and I'm not very confident about the solidity of the jonts and this adds to the quality of my carpentary. Is pinning or screwng the better option?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Ginger nuts beats high bake water biscuits every time....;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The wife bought some 'own brand' ginger nuts from somewhere like Netto. Those would have taken rawl bolts.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Biscuit joints are incredibly strong with a decent glue, some sources say they are as strong as a mortise & tennon. I've built exterior doors for garages & outbuildings using biscuit joints & Titebond adhesive - never had a problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mmmmmm Ginger Nuts... ;-)

Reply to
Kenny

Or new kitten's got ginger nuts.

I'd watch out tho if you fancy a nibble..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But for how much longer? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So improve the quality of the joints. The strength from the biscuit itself, compared to the glue joint, varies between the minor, to the neglible, to the "for alignment purposes only".

Personally I think a biscuit in unsupported shear (i.e. worst case) _is_ strong enough for many purposes - especially a biscuit in tension. However good work does assume that there's an underlying competent long-grain to long-grain glued joint here and that itself has to be strong enough, without relying on any extra contribution from the biscuit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley