Birth Pool Upstairs??

The local maternity unit here doesn't do epidurals any more, as they killed an unfortunate woman trying one a couple of years back. They are only available two hours away now.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

In article , The Real Doctor scribeth thus

Aww... Poor woman .. you mean you didn't cook for the family?, how could you;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

There are others, NZ springs to mind.

Reply to
dennis

They nearly managed that with SWMBO actually. Anaesthetist made a complete balls of it and at one point SWMBO pointed out that she was losing feeling in her arms...

For the uninitiated, this means that the spinal block is too high and is affecting the nerves to the arms as well as the abdomen and legs. The next nerves up the spinal column to be affected would be those of the heart - obviously that's not exactly a desirable scenario.

The anaesthetist at this point draws up a syringe of liquid without comment, and leaves it on the table next to me, while going back to fiddling with the epidural. I take a glance at the phial and see that it contains adrenaline - and I'm well aware that the only purpose of that would be to bang it into SWMBO if and when her heart stopped beating. Not a good moment. Fortunately, however, the arm-numbing shortly subsided and the adrenaline wasn't needed.

(At least with home births you don't get epidurals!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

It was also quiet and private - my husband and I had the place to ourselves most of the time, although staff checked my progress, and were certainly present in the final stages of labour. We were not turfed out immediately, either. No labour room>delivery room>recovery room>hospital room, shifting about - I was in the same place for more than 24 hours - it was a very long labour - and I didn't have to clean up after myself. Had I been younger, without a previous emergency c-section, I would definitely have considered home birth.

Reply to
S Viemeister

She might want to though, after she's seen the state of the room and tasted the food.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In my experience limited, the women do forget in time but the men (if present at the birth) do not.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, "the necessity of proof lies with he who complains."

In other words, if you claim passive smoking kills X number of people a year you must offer proof that it does.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yawn I don't care if its X Y or Z smoking kills .

Reply to
Kevin

Well you were a baby once TNP and you ... oh, I see ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

This was not an epi as such - the same anaesthetist had already cocked up placement of that a day or so before, resulting in only partial pain relief - i.e. complete loss of sensation in some parts, and concentration of the pain in all the bits that still had perfect feeling. Hence the need for a spinal block rather than just topping up the epidural for the c-section.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Stumbles scribeth thus

Poor old soul it was so long ago he can't remember;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

were boring as shit.

One tries to advance...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can actually. One of my early memories was 'why am I being talked to like a complete moron?'

Thegreat mistake is to consider that babies are somehow less intelligent than adults: they are not, just ignorant.

Treating them like morons is the cause of all the western worlds problems.

In short taking an immature adult and turning it into BAYBEE

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Mark Spice wrote

The pub industry had a decade or more to put its own house in order but they chose to just put up a sticker, provided by the tobacco industry, saying the pub was a smoking establishment.

I doubt if a ban would have been considered if appropriate ventilation had been provided in pubs.

As a non smoker, it's now often a pleasant experience going into pubs. All we need now is for publicans to learn how to keep a decent pint. I still find it surprising that when a publican is serving up something not fit for washing the dog he still blames the smoking ban for his misfortune, especially when the pub 100 metres along the road has 20 times more custom.

Reply to
Alan

It appears that smokers are the biggest litter louts.

Alan

From the same studies as you have obtained your figures:

About 50 million working days are lost as a result of smoking-related illnesses.

Lets say its around £160/day so that another £8bn you have to add to the cost of smoking

Reply to
Alan

shit sherlock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why shouldn't the smokers provide their own means of disposal?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I wouldn't get too comfortable - the figures for alcohol-related injuries/deaths/days off work don't look much better than the smoking ones.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard