bioler for hot water on for an hour and then stops

Help please!

I have a boiler which will switch on with the timer in the morning and the evening if I have the Hot water only set. However if I set the time to be longer than an hour it will not come on. Even if I leave it for a couple of hours and try and switch it on it still won't come on. However if I swithc on the CH then the boiler does switch on - but only for the CH (even if the HW is on). The boiler services a hot water cylinder which is on the first floor and the water is pumped to this cylinder from the boiler.

Reply to
Ali

Wierd! Can you give a bit more information about your system.

Make and model of timer? What thermostats are there, and what temperatures are they set to? What zone valves or 3-port valve do you have?

Is this a new problem, or hasn't it ever worked properly?

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Boiler won't fire up unless the cylinder really needs heating. I doubt it takes an hour to heat it up, so it will be up to temperature at that point. My hot water cylinder is only heated for 30 minutes in the morning.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I agree entirely. However, my interpretation of the original post - rightly or wrongly - was that, if the timer was set for more than an hour, the water didn't heat *at all* - rather than heating for an hour and then stopping.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

is there a cylinder stat ?

Nick

Reply to
froggers

Maybe if you time for more than an hour in the evening, it gets the cylinder properly hot so it doesn't need to fire in the morning?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The boiler does fire in the morning, but it won't fire for much longer than an hour. Its enough for 2 showers and then there's no HW until the next day! This was not a problem in the past it only started happening in the last few months. I used to have the HW set for a much longer period in the past and the boiler would come on when either the water cooled down or was used up. I have a programmer (manufactured by LAdnis and Gyr) and the system I believe is a fully pumped one.

Reply to
Ali

The timer is Landis and Gyr, there is a thermo on the cylinder which is a Honeywell L641A. This is a new problem

Reply to
Ali