Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

Page 2 of 5
On 15 Oct 2003 14:38:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Yeah, that'll be right then! :O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

... translating this to the actual switches is not that straight forward though. Switch 1 (the least significant bit) is usually on the left not the right. And people can't work out that 0 is "OFF" and 1 is "ON", or indeed which way the switch has to be for off and on.
--
Tim Mitchell

Oh, I can make it read the other way around, and print ON/OFF rather than 1/0, if you like. Joys of MATLAB :-)
G.
G.W. Walker wrote:

I was going to do that in QBasic, and insert the text, only to find I'd have to boot the other machine - and then I'd have my choice of languages.
Surprising how useful Q/Quickbasic can be for using as a custom calculator. Still beats xl/123 for this kind of thing.
--
Chris
-----

Index cards then. He could carry a stack of those with himin a box. Anyone should be capable of taking out a card with the right number on it and setting the switches up or down to match the picture.
Colin Bignell
"nightjar

Punched cards?
Richard

I design DMX disco lighting which uses dip switches, and have to deal with DJ's, who are not well known for their mental agility.
This is the way I explain it (your switch numbering might be different). Switch 1 counts for 1. Switch 2 counts for 2. Switch 3 counts for 4. Switch 4 counts for 8. Switch 5 counts for 16. Switch 6 counts for 32. (repeat for all your switches).
Look at the number you need to set. What's the biggest switch number will fit into the number? example: 19, switch 6 is too big but switch 5 will fit. Then take off the value of that switch. Example, take off the value of switch 5, which is 16, leaving 3. What's the next biggest switch number which fits into the left over number? switch 2. Take off 2, leaving 1. Switch 1 fits, and there you are, switches 5 2 and 1 are on.
Some people just can't do it. I eventually designed a website to work it out for those people. It may or may not work for you depending how the dip switches relate to the number. http://www.tega.co.uk/calc.asp
--
Tim Mitchell

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:12:54 GMT, "BigWallop"

Some people have mental blocks about this and lots of other things.
I'm the same when it comes to chemistry. I could never, ever, figure out all those chemical symbols and so on - and yet everyone around me had no problem at all.
You may have entered into a battle which you will never win.
PoP

hair
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! It is getting to that stage PoP. I know he's bright and I don't want to lose him on site because of this silly problem. I'll persevere a bit longer with it I think and maybe just find a way of getting him to pick it up.
Patience is a virtue and frustration is a real pain in proverbial. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

"PoP" wrote | Some people have mental blocks about this and lots of other things. | I'm the same when it comes to chemistry. I could never, ever, figure | out all those chemical symbols and so on - and yet everyone around me | had no problem at all.
My chemistry teacher once assured my mother that I would pick up symbols and valencies just as easily as I'd learned multiplication tables.
My mother looked at him and just said "but he never learnt them either"
Owain

Yeah, but that's different, because Chemistry really IS all cobblers! ;O)
Note it was the Chemist with the "Foam in the Canoe and everywhere else" problem! It's chemists and the like that wire plugs up gorilla stylee - That tells you just about all you need to know!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:12:54 UTC, "BigWallop"

If there are N switches, make 2^N pictures of the actual switch block. Draw in the switches that are ON or OFF in each picture. Write a number beside each picture.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

alarm
draw
the
for
Now that's a good point Bob. But I'm now wondering how many pages of drawings I'll have to make up if the system goes to the full ten switches. :-))
9,999 detectors on one system is highly unlikely though, so I might give him a try on this.
Thank you.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote:

What is the likely highest number?
I agree that he clearly has a mental block, and the anxiety induced by constantly getting it wrong (and knowning that you know) will be making it worse.
You definately need to make a fresh start, beginning with what he can do and feels confident with, and building on that.
I'd prepare sheets with drawings of actual switch settings and the associated numbers. On A4 sheets in landscape you ought to be able to to get 8 diagrams across the page in a line. So the first line will have 0-7, the second 8-15 etc.
You might get 16 lines to a sheet so that would allow 0-255 on a double side which could be laminated. With luck, he may work out the pattern for himself, but don't push it. Otherwise limit his responsibilities to jobs which are within his capabilities using the crib sheet.
Nick

switches.
him
Thanks for this reply Nick. Maybe I've just pushed it to far this passed couple of weeks and he needs a rest from it. I'll see what I can do about the drawings for him, and maybe make a point of personally being with him on more of sites to see if I can spot where the failing is coming from.
Thank you sir. You've made me sit back and relax a bit more on this. I knew it was me that was at fault somewhere here. I'm being to pushy. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote:

Glad it helped, one thing I learnt from being a primary school teacher was that for some people in some circumstances, being calm and patient (even though you really felt like beating the hell out of something) often produced better results than anything else.

Don't regard it as anyones fault, just a problem to work out together.
Nick

passed
about
him on

:-))
LOL !!!
Do you think if I let him beat the hell out the detectors, it might help ? :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:04:00 GMT, "BigWallop"

How about treating them as "flags" in "positions" or "slots", and saying that the number simply describes the state of the flag in each slot or position? Maybe it's the numbers and the rest of the concept together which is flooring him?
Often explaining why things are called what they are can help too - does he know why a dip switch is so called? That sort of thing - some background like that would get him "an understanding" rather than learning by wrote, which is always slower even if perhaps better in some folks view.
Once you got an understanding, I would venture to suggest it opens to door to having real intuition about a given subject. That would have to help.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

And that's where an old fashioned maths exercise book scores, since the little squares are already ruled in for you! Just block in the ones you want with a felt pen - Using that I've taught 5 women of assorted ages and abilities binary and how to make 8X8 characters sets for computer use, and convert them to comma delimited data lists, and how to debug them where the shapes were not what they wanted. Never lost a patient yet, and they all "got it". This just can not be a hopeless case once you got that info on board!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
"Gnube" wrote | And that's where an old fashioned maths exercise book scores, since | the little squares are already ruled in for you! Just block in the | ones you want with a felt pen - Using that I've taught 5 women of
But women are different! They can understand knitting patterns.
Owain