Bin bags

The trouble with regular supermarket carrier bags is that they have holes in them. So even with doubled up bags, wet stuff leaks into the bottom of the bin.

Reply to
djc

In practice, that doesn't often happen and, when it does, the bins designed for carrier bags have an easy wipe-clean tray under the bag to catch this.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

True of many (probably all) of them. I kept a stock of spares, but didn't cycle the stock through, thinking they last forever like the Greens tell us they do.

3-4 years later, they look fine until you touch them, but then they come to pieces in your hands. I also read somewhere they aren't recycleable once they start degrading, and contaminate the recycleable bags.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a hunch that you can tell biodegradable bags by their slightly matt texture - and they're usually much thinner than "proper" placcy bags.

Actually even the ones you pay a bit for and are replaced free of charge when they wear out are still biodegradable but usually fail by puncture from edges of cans, crown corks and so on.

Bolland and Harrett use paper bags, but they seem to scarcely last the journey home.

The best bags to use for recycling are the glossy thick poly carrier bags usually supplied by regional dealers in such things as outdoor accessories, camping/walking for example.

I still prefer to use my "man bag" for purchases, dump any extra bags in the wheelie bin, and occasionally rinse that out with hot water.

Reply to
Frank Erskine