Bin bags

Wheely bins work well for those with detached houses and storage space. For many folk in terraces or flats they're a storage headache and some local council terraces near us now look a complete mess with stacks of bins cluttering up the front gardens. They're also unstable in high winds and "blow overs" are common with rubbish strewn up the street.

Having said that, still better than black bags ripped open by animals.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Buying what simply is a cheaper product could well be be due to a budget cut. No-one thought to get a sample before ordering, though.

Reply to
charles

Which is when they are at their most dangerous. Is that hole 1" or 12" deep ?

And of course it's the nature of things that the holes appear where you

*have* to go through them.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well, as I said, I was speaking selfishly. And no doubt we'll end up with a solution whereby the things get left on the pavement during the day. So my wife's travels on mobility scooter will just get even more exciting.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We just swapped with a neighbour.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The pothole outside our house is filled for now. They do not square off the edges before they fill with new tarmac, so the edges have no proper key which is why it fails so quickly. A little bit of work with a spade and it would last twice as long ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

And did you do that? We do that here in the Kent Mountains - and, guess what! They get filled in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They only rip them open if they smell food. If there's no food collection bin, perhaps there should be

Reply to
stuart noble

er it's easy enough to form the top of the bag into two "ears" and knot them together with a reef knot.

As for wind we place a brick on top of our (knotted closed) blue bin bag to stop it blowing away across fields. One bag half full of almost entirly plastic film wrapping every fortnight the same time as the box for tins/glass, stiff bag for paper/card and similar bag for hard plastics goes out.

Dave Liquorice

I reported 3 last year - takes about 10 minutes each time.

I'll wait till the summer holidays for the 360 minutes I'd need to report the current crop. Although, like painting the Forth bridge[1] I suspect it could be perpetual motion.

[1]Yes, I know ....
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Some don't rip ....

A few weeks ago, I put our bags out, about 6pm. About 8pm I added some more paper, and noticed the food waste bag had been torn, but that the drawstring kitchen bag inside had be *untied*. Thinking nothing of it, I retied, put it all in another black bag, and left it.

Next morning, bringing the paper-recycle box in (they have separate collections for recycle an black bags) I saw again, the black bags torn, but the kitchen bin untied.

Discounting (rather creepy) human behaviour, I wondered what this could be. Presumably a beaked animal. Magpies can be very cute .....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

er, no. I meant a strong gust of wind *rips* the bags open.

I said they were rubbish.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Never thought of doubling them up?

Reply to
fred

I reported a spurious sigh for a roadside phone....by the roundabout at St Nicholas at Wade on the A299 (there's a car park that *used* to have a phone box, but it went years ago). There was a blue sign with a white P and a white 'telephone handset' on it.

I had been asked on more than one occasion where the phone was, so I reported the signage error. They came along and neatly blocked out the phone outline part, keeping close to the original outline.

In white paint.

Oh, and they didn't have the nous to do the one on the other approach road.

Reply to
Bob Eager

unless you laminate them somehow, you still have a paper thin bag inside a paper thin bag. So paper thin that a rounded edge of a ready mean carton can punch a hole in it when lifted. And if you double them up, you'll be out before the next roll are issued.

Seems the council have learned something - just seen on their website they're giving up green bags altogether - you have to buy your own now. I look forward to the commensurate reduction in council tax.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Don't hold your breath, will you?

Reply to
Huge

?????? ?????? ?? 25 ??????? 2013 UTC+3 1:49:

09 ?? ??? Jethro_uk:

HI GOOD DEY HIHIHI

Reply to
mrm3990

well, you won't get one since they ahve no statutory requirement to collect garden waste. We've had paid for green sacks for some years, but they are going to be replaced with 'wheelies" since the bags were sometimes too heavy for the Safety elf.

Reply to
charles

Use that. :)

Reply to
mogga

I think methods of resurfacing make the potholes. Some years ago my street was completely remade. It's part of a main route in central London and the traffic had done its worst. So it was closed for weeks, ripped up down to bare earth [1] and completely rebuilt. The curious thing was the treatment of all the manholes and drain gratings. The ironware taken up, the hole covered with a steel plate, the the new tarmac laid continuously over the lot. After which they dig up the new surface, remove the steep plate and drop in the proper covers. Which means all the new surface has little patches where the gaps were filled in. A few months later and most of those patches were becoming potholes.

[1] exposing remnants of the old tramlines
Reply to
djc