Big round hole in steel

I need to make or have made 2 additional removable steel supports to match 6 that came with a trailer. The present ones have a smaller steel pipe adjustable inside a 2" outside diameter steel pipe. The larger steel pipe drops in to sockets on the trailer, and has a 1/4" plate welded about 8" up to stop it dropping through the socket and support part of the 2.5 tons to be carried.

My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't happy about making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

Is the best tool to cut through the steel a bi-metal hole saw? Should it be 50mm (advertised on ebay as 50mm/2") or 51 mm.

Would it be easier to hack and bodge something like an old Acrow prop? What is the o/d of one of these or are they all different?

Any other ideas? Is this the sort of thing a decent metal fabrication shop should be able to knock up simply and cheaply? The 6 original props are all different, so it looks as though they were cobbled up out of whatever materials were to hand.

Reply to
Bill

With a decently sharp hole saw and a drop of oil as lubrication it should be quite easy and quick if the power tool is reasonably powerful. Used to similar jobs regularly. A note of caution. If the tool is powerful enough to do a reasonable job it will be strong enough to hurt you and break from grip if the saw jams which it often does just as it breaks through unless you are ready. A drill with a clutch is recommended if you have access to one.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Plasma cutter. A trailer place might not have one, but any halfway decent steel fabricator will.

OD usually, but it's a hard job to get real accuracy out of them anyway.

Acrow props are quite heavy, as they're specced for a serious loading, more than you'd need for a trailer leg.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Isn't a 2" hole in 1/4" steel plate exactly the sort of thing a hypersonic depleted uranium round is supposed to make?

Any friends in the Army?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's worth a shot.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

Gas axe. Doddle.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I don't know anyone who still has the requisite skill with cutting this neatly, and who doesn't already have plasma instead of oxy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Can't you just drill a series of smaller holes in a circle, gradually enlarge them till they join up and the middle falls out, then tidy up with a file?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

A hole saw will do it easily especially in a pillar drill, even a £30 aldi one.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Well, I've invested 99p on ebay for a hole saw, so we'll see. If I can clear a space to get to the Fobco, I'll give it a go.

I'll also see if some local fabricators I've used before are still there, just in case.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Reply to
Bill

Easier to get the hole in the right place like this:

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I'd just use a 2" twist drill. First I'd drill a pilot hole!

Reply to
Matty F