big doors.

My extension will (hopefully) be 5.8 meters wide. For this I have decided on 3 double french doors. I recently saw a smaller extension where the rear opening onto the garden was completely open. I couldn't ask them what type of doors they used and I didn't catch a glimpse of what the doors looked like. So I am looking for a cost effective door solution which will leave the extension open to the garden, as much as possible, with as much glass as possible.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Found what i am looking for also found out that they are bloody expensive. Over 4 grand for the size I need.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Do you envisage more or less *continuous* glass for the whole width - or are you thinking of 3 separate double doors with brick pillars between? It is a single storey extension, or is there a second storey above it - or might there be in future?

If you want continuous glass and also need to support a second storey, you'd better get a structural engineer on board PDQ! Your BCO will need to be satisfied that it's not all going to collapse in a heap!

Reply to
Set Square

I was looking for a supplier of folding sliding doors for an opening between 4.5 to 5m, but the cost is exhaustive for supply and fix but ,hopefully, I have found an alternative approch which will result in the desired effect, at the fraction of the cost. As for steels, the supplier I use gave me the info on what weight and size ,FOC, for some underground steel work ,which the BCO has approved, so theres no problem there.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Out of interest, what was the alternative, we are looking to do something similar for an opening of about 4m.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

It is simple enough to hinge two doos together to make them folders. You also need a channel and a bar (not necessarily wheeled but that depends on the channel.)

If you can find some U channel to set into concrete for the threshold or just adapt an hanger (unsightly) to run in a straight line that should save you some 4 1/2 thousand quid.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

The only sites I have found supply the whole thing, doors and mechanisms. I have found a company who might supply the mechanism and have the doors made up to fit.

Reply to
nthng2snet