Big Dig

That /was/ the theory -- /before/ the election. Is it still going to go ahead?

Reply to
<me9

Only if it is a /shared/ drain.

Reply to
<me9

Only if it drains more than one property.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Well one reason is that the public serwer is often under the roadway or footpath and if the bit that connects your house to the public sewer collapses under the roadway, it's your responsibility, yet you are not allowed to fix it yourself! It seems somewhat unfair that you must pay an approved contractor huge amounts, simply because you are not allowed to work on the bit under the public highway. It would make far more sense for the demarcation line to be at the property boundary, so you would only have responsibility for the bit you are actually allowed to deal with yourself.

Ours actually collapsed just on our property and also right in the middle of the road where it dropped vertically to join the public sewer. Fortunately it serves two houses, one built in '34 and ours in '35. At the time we were told that if it hadn't been the water company's responsibility, it could have cost us £10-15K!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Makes my Klargester private sewage treatment plant look an even better idea - no demarcations as it'd all mine to fix when it fails !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson