Bicycle, crash hat and accident

Consider running for a bus, that's not a mile.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

No. Because it's comfortable to run.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I never said I should be. I said it would be insane to compare a runner to a car, just as it is insane to compare a bicycle to a car.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Well you're the one doing it. So what does that make *you*? Well, OK, I think we know the answer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But your car cannot do 110 mph anywhere a pedestrian is walking. At the legal speed limit in town there is precious little difference between being struck by a car at 30 mph (shortly to be 20 mph in many places, they tell us) and a bicycle at 26 mph. The bike has far more spiky bits sticking out than a car, and is likely to inflict nearly as much, if not more, damage than a car. The cyclist is much more likely to not be looking where he/she is going too, as they seem to think their special green status gives them authority to ignore normal rules - especially red lights.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I'm not the one doing it. Can't you follow simple English?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I'm not the one doing it. Can't you follow simple English?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Of course it can. And the fact is cars go faster than bikes in a built up area, breaking the law or not, they get overtaken.

Absolute twaddle. The laws of physics state that if a 100kg object is struck by a 1000kg object, it's gonna get hurt a lot more than if both objects were 100kg. Look up the conservation of momentum, and you'll find that with a car, the car does not change speed significantly, but the pedestrian is accelerated to the speed of the car almost instantly. If a bike hits a pedestrian (with a similar weight), then the pedestrian and the cyclist will both be accelerated/decelerated by half the speed of the cyclist.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Then the cycling speed would be proportionately faster.

If the distance is ultra short, a few yards as in in your scenario of running for a bus, I will agree that by the time I have mounted the bike, you might well have reached the bus. Is that what you are trying to say?

Reply to
Fredxxx

The percussive effect of running on ones knees suggest to me and most others that is not the case.

Or don't you have knees?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Then why do so many people run for exercise?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The cyclist will most likely be travelling 5 or 10 miles. The runner will most likely be travelling 100 yards.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Correct. Most people probably go 15-20mph to catch a bus. Which is close to what most people cycle at, which is usually 20mph.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

At least you don't get so bored watching the race.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

He was asking the question of me as a RUNNER, not a cyclist.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Bicycles are safer on the pavements, then they are out of the bloody way of the cars. Now if only buses would fit on pavements....

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Everyone has to die some way.

Reply to
dennis

No, in order to get to the same destination most people will travel the same distances whether they walk or cycle.

I can now see why you can run faster than you can cycle.

Reply to
Fredxxx

True, Everyone I know who has indulged in exercise has either died early or been injured. Mind you, pedal powered organ donors are a great spare parts resource.

Reply to
Capitol

People who don't exercise die of heart failure.

Reply to
Uncle Peter