Bicycle, crash hat and accident

Bikes must be sold with lights and a bell. What the purchaser chooses to do after that is unregulated, though riding at night on the road without lights is an offence (ISTR)

Reply to
larkim

Seems that the regs are a mess, then. All bikes should have lights and a bell (IMO). Riders above the age of 14 should have a proficiency cert that should be obtainable at school. They should also have insurance. All this should also be enforced.

The Swiss used (dunno if they still do) to require bikes to have a small licence plate (not a number plate) that you paid for annually. Adopting this would go some way towards paying for enforcement.

It would also help the lycra brigade understand that the roads are not there just for them to race around on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And if you see the bobby in time hop off you bike and put it up on your shoulder as even if you are wheeling it you still need lights

Reply to
fred

I can understand the frustration and fear some cyclists develop when their lives are put at risk by other (sometimes inconsiderate) road users.

I can understand the frustration that some drivers (and pedestrians) feel from the (sometimes inconsiderate) behaviour of cyclists.

Perhaps if there were weekly 'bike free' days and all those cyclists travelled to work (and back home) in their cars then the sudden addition of thousands of 'extra' cars into the rush hour traffic might ease the situation.

))

John

Reply to
JTM

Pity that *all* drivers don't understand that the roads are not there just for them to race around on.

John

Reply to
JTM

I'd like to think they do. You are aware, I take it, that if car drivers race around they get slung in the chokey. Bike drivers by contrast appear to attract large crowds egging them on. Odd, really.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The bus would be moving a lot faster if a cyclist wasn't wobbling all over the road while a constant stream of cars was overtaking it or coming the other way, preventing it from overtaking the cyclist.

Buses are the most efficient motorised way to move people round the average town or city, and can fit over 50 passengers in the space occupied by a dozen cyclists displaying their normal behaviour.

Loading for most bus services was about 40% of nominal vehicle capacity at the last firm I worked for when averaged over a full day's work. So if all you see is the driver and one passenger on board you must be visiting either some very strange towns or normal towns at some very strange times.

Reply to
John Williamson

The bus here often runs empty (three or so services a day to/from Canterbury), but in the morning/evening during term time it's standing room only, being full of kiddywinks on the school run.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Other than at school time, most of the buses around here are as TOM described.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then they shouldn't use a child's toy as transport.

Road lice.

It wouldn't be thousands. Less than 2% of journeys are made by push bike. The reduction in cyclists would improve traffic speed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If drivers commit an offence, they are highly likely to be apprehended. They have registration plates.

Cyclists commit traffic offences willy nilly because they know they won't be apprehended.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought the bell one had been revoked a couple of years ago but have you got a link to the legislation that says that about lights?

Trivia that might be relevant:

A 'bike' no longer legally remains a 'bike' when initially sold to an end user without pedals (or wheels or saddle etc) being fitted.

Lights are definitely not a legal required for fitment or use on the road during daylight hours or times of good visibilty.

The bell had (had?) to be supplied if a complete bike was supplied

A reflector at the rear (and maybe at the front) are possibly required, but again only outside the periods of daylight hours / good visibility

But iirc reflectors on pedals are a *must* on a supply of a complete bike, hence a common work around of selling 'almost a bike' without pedals then supplying as a separate contract, compliant or far more usually non compliant pedals in order for the customer to use the 'almost a bike' they bought a few minutes previously. That the shop then fits them before the customer exits the shop possibly removes the requirement for them to carry any pedal reflectors.

There are cycles and bikes where the reflectors on the pedals would never be seen by another road user either from the rear or the front.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Or 4 cars with drivers (at least vans often have an apprentice)

John

Reply to
JTM

The bus is usually about half full when I use it - these bus passes are great!

(Since getting the bus pass I have done *much* more walking)

John

Reply to
JTM

Outside rush hour they are empty unless you reduce the service to a tenth of rush hour.

Reply to
dennis

As I said, these bike regs are just a joke.

A bit similar to the US, where IIRC they can supply the customer with a truck that has no bumpers fitted. At which point it's not a vehicle and so attracts no sales sax - or some such fiddle.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The cycle lane is likely (or has been) laden with broken glass, from what I've seen of them. Otoh, the cars and buses do a wonderful job of sweeping the tarmac clear of it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Have you looked at a bus closely lately? Most services now are purely commercial and if they don't carry enough passengers to pay (Average about 30% of the potential maximum over the route length), they're removed from the timetable. There are still some subsidised services, but they are getting fewer by the year.

And I didn't say they *always* fit 50 or more passengers into the space, I said they *can* fit over 50 passengers into the space. IME this only matters in the rush hour periods, when cyclists are also more common, and cause more holdups.

Reply to
John Williamson

I've been on 3 buses in the past month (in fact I've probably been on 3 in the past decade) one was mid-day between city centre and an out of town shopping park, doubt it was 20% full, the other two were early evening rural village into city centre, literally a handful of passengers each time.

They might do themselves a favour if the phone app vs website vs printed at bus-stop vs SMS timetables agreed with each other.

Reply to
Andy Burns

"my bike can do 26mph"

The fastest among us can sprint 100m at a speed of 15.9 mph

Usain Bolt look out: the fat Hucker is close behind you.

(Sorry about the spelling mistake)

Reply to
Judith