Bicycle, crash hat and accident

What about car parks with chevron parking as per our local M & S. Reversing into one of those is going to provide lots of amusement to onlookers and driving out forward is going to entail a bit of to-ing and fro-ing if one is to obey the one way system

Reply to
fred

I'm not talking about emergencies, I'm talking about:

1) coming up behind pedestrians on a shared use (peds/bikes) path. 2) overtaking other cyclists 3) coming up behind horses with riders

and other similar everyday instances. If you manage to anticipate and avoid these, then so much the better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So you're kids don't ride bikes?

Reply to
Dean Punchard

So your children don't play on bikes?

Reply to
Dean Punchard

He is not kids.

Reply to
Tim Streater

no, i am not kids..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What children?

All children are brain dead anyway. The point of family life is to attempt to give them some brains before they are adults.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmmm, I prefer Kingsley Amis: he said (in one of his novels, I forget which) that all children are permanently drunk and that all women are semi-drunk.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I liken young children's minds to heavily fragmented hard drives.

Reply to
stuart noble

Indeed, children play on bikes. They soon realise they are not transport, but toys.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I guess "you're" a cyclist?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Very safe, traffic slows for the lights.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

....because in 'Dave World' cyclists are well known as contributing nothing in taxes to HM Treasury, exempt as they are to income tax, National Insurance, VAT, stamp duty, capital gains tax and of course as cyclists they don't ever own a car they contribute nothing in fuel duty nor do they require car tax. As they are all uninsured for everything including their home and contents they don't pay any insurance premium tax either, nor do they pay council tax or make any meaningful contribution to society. They also evade death duties by moving all their assets offshore into an untouchable trust.

Most of the rest of planet earth realise that cyclists contribute billions in tax just like almost everyone else and are fully entitled to be able to travel in a safe manner by the provision of suitable facilities and legislation.

P.S. I'd execute red light runners and those that ride through pedestrian crossings on the spot :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

The point is of course that as cyclists they pay no cycling related tax, no t as ordinary citizens where of course they pay taxes like anyone else. Whe reas motorists pay taxes through the nose for all motoring AND they still p ay tax as an ordinary tax payer.

How did you miss this simple point ?

The day the government can identify individual cyclists via a licensing sch eme is the day they'l start larding taxes on them

Reply to
fred

He's a cyclist? Who doesn't own a car?

Reply to
John Williamson

Slightly different direction.... motorists who seem unable to overtake cyclists on *A* standard roads if there is an approaching vehicle in sight!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A motorist attempted to overtake me on a B road when someone was coming the other way, I was the one who ended up in hospital with a smashed right arm. Some A roads are quite narrow, too, and there is not room to overtake a cyclist safely when there is a car coming the other way. I was taught to leave cyclist "falling space" when overtaking.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Sorry to hear that.

Of course. The one I have in mind was re-constructed and opened in 1977. There seem to be two issues... an inability to judge time available/oncoming vehicle speed such that they slow to cycle speed and an unwillingness to trespass on the other lane.

I agree whooshing by under the handlebar at 60mph is inconsiderate but would only allow *falling space* for someone cycling very slowly or wobbling about.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does this mean that you've awarded yourself an honorary Darwin Award? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I cycle predominantly on minor roads but I have a mirror fitted to the end of the handle bars, a better safety feature than a helmet imho. When I see a car approaching towards me and another coming from behind I stay well out into the road to make it clear to the overtaking car that he hasn't got th e room. NO sensible motorist will rear end a cyclist but a careless one wil l easily knock you off your bike in an overtaking manoeuvre.

Reply to
fred