Bicycle, crash hat and accident

"Dennis@home" considered Tue, 26 Aug 2014

20:09:15 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Despite a long-standing challenge in uk.rec.cycling to find a household contents policy that /doesn't/ cover such risks, we still haven't found one.

And of course many cyclists have additional insurance through club memberships.

Reply to
Phil W Lee

Bod considered Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:32:50 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Don't you have household contents insurance? If so, that will cover you (but you do need to be aware of that to make a claim).

Reply to
Phil W Lee

Bod considered Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:16:07 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Yes.

If I had a dog it would also be covered by the same household contents policy as covers any liability I may incur when cycling.

The reasons are different though. In the case of the (hypothetical, in my case) dog, the risk is offset by the benefit of security - burglars don't like houses with dogs, as they make a noise. In the case of the cycling, it's that the risk is so low that it's simply not worth separating from that of any other personal liability.

Of course, they don't cover liability when operating a motor vehicle, as the risks are vastly higher, which would make the cost of their policies uncompetitive.

Reply to
Phil W Lee

Yes I do have household insurance and it does cover bicycles.

Reply to
Bod

Then cycling must pose very little risk. The insurance industry would not provide this cover for `zero money' otherwise. Not for long, anyway...

Reply to
Mark Williams

How do you know it is not the same 25 percent of homes which do not have any cycles or do any cycling?

Reply to
Mark Williams

Though, strangely enough, not next (or near) to each other. Most odd.

You _will_ find the word `vehicle' on there. Many times---and usually in conjunction with `tax'. Yet you have conveniently omitted to mention that. Also the acronym `MoT', even though this has been a bit of a legal fiction for some decades now.

Reply to
Mark Williams

Assuming you had one, and assuming that you know what it is/was (not a safe assumption, I accept), what is your point?

Reply to
JNugent

50% of houses do not have a clear view.
Reply to
Uncle Peter

Then they should have or at least discrete mirrors each side of the driveway.

Reply to
Bod

What, 50% of people in the UK install a mirror, how impractical and utterly over the top.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Totally practical and a helpful aid. Either that or lower the obstacle.

Reply to
Bod

Funny how virtually nobody does that. Why should the driver, on his own property, give way to a pedestrian?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Not in my post.

Care to venture an answer to the question?

Or is it to be left as a rhetorical observation?

Reply to
JNugent

The pedestrian isn't on the motorist's propery. He's on the public highway (the part reserved for pedestrians).

Reply to
charles
8<

If there is a dropped kerb then the adjacent bit is shared, but the driver has to giveway. If there is no dropped kerb the driver isn't allowed there at all, even if he has a drive.

Reply to
dennis