Bi-fold patio doors

I am contemplating replacing my conventional sliding patio doors with new bi-fold doors. Currently I have a small step down to the patio, but was thinking of going to a common floor level.

Obviously, draft and water-proofness and vital. I also want ruggedness and quality of mechanism. I am undecided about whether to go for a hard wood or aluminium design.

Has anyone been down this path recently and could advise on manufacturers/designs and any aspects to be aware of?

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris S

We are in the middle of this. We decided for bi-fold doors that we should avoid uPVC because of the wide profiles around the glass, and reports that some large ones are prone to going out of adjustment due to expansion and contraction.

So - wood or aluminium, as you are thinking.

Aluminium is cheaper than wood so we are going with aluminium.

Bi-fold doors are quite tricky things, so probably good to have them installed by a local DG firm with a good reputation so you have long term backup for adjustment - kinf of paying a premium in the price for ongoing insurance. We decided to do this, but have the standard windows installed by our builders.

Our local DG firm supply

went to their showroom on Canvey Island to look at examples, and they seem O.K. - but we won't lnow really until we've had them in for a year or so.

Things we decided:

(1) We want a flat exit (wheelchair access is designed into our plan, although we aren't wheelchair users at the moment) however the special flat cill relies on brushes to provide weatherproofing. We weren't happy that this would provide a reliable long term weather proofing so we are ordering the standard cill which has a lip for the doors to butt up against, with rubber seals. We are going with the external lip, and having the internal floor level with the top of the lip. Outside, there will be a small drop to allow the doors to fold out, then decking brought up close to the doors. This should, we hope, give just a small dip and easy access. There are quite a few different cill options to chose from.

(2) You can get venetian blinds built inside the glazing units. We are going for these because external blinds or curtains will be bulky and generally a problem to manage, as the windows are just over 4.7 metres wide. You can have electronic controls, but we are going for the cheaper and simpler ones controlled by a magnetic slider.

Hope this helps

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

bi-fold doors. Currently I have a small step down to the patio, but was thinking of going to a common floor level.

quality of mechanism. I am undecided about whether to go for a hard wood or aluminium design.

manufacturers/designs and any aspects to be aware of?

Dave,

Thanks. Useful pointers.

Reply to
Chris S

So, it will be easier to get out than to get back in again. Do you have some sort of fail-safe back-up plan?

Does that mean each door is 2.35m wide? Or do you have 2 sets of doors

1.17m wide? Even that could be a handful to manage from a wheelchair, I imagine.
Reply to
GB

Ummm....the average wheelchair user can get over small rises, especially if they are in inch or less in height. How big did you think the drop was?

The bifolds are a linked set of 4 doors - one which opens like a normal door (and should be fine for a wheelchair user to pass through) and then folds back with the other three to leave the main area clear should you wish for a wider opening.

It is not designed for someone in a wheel chair to open the full set of bifold doors, nor does it need to be.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

How much extra?

You will have that expense again when then units mist up and need replacing.

What happens if the mechanism fails?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I was expecting something more like in this photo 3 doors linked and 1 separate, but that's not how you described it.

fair nuf

Reply to
GB

How much extra?

You will have that expense again when then units mist up and need replacing.

What happens if the mechanism fails?

MBQ

Around £250 per door. Slightly more to replace the units, but worth it for the simplicity. If the mechanism fails in warranty (can't remember how long this is off hand) it is replaced. Out of warranty, same as for misted glazing units.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Most installing companies will guarantee your blinds/doors for 20 years, me= aning should you have any misting/condensation, the units should be replace= d F.O.C. You can also get blinds that are specially made for bifold doors -= the aluminium easifold manufacturer for example (Origin Easifold) supply m= ade to measure electric roller blinds, that come with a remote control and = can be customized to match an interior colour scheme or the bifolds themsel= ves. Could be another option to integral blinds. Bristol Bifold have a glos= sary and information in regard to threshold options -

.uk 01179 000667

Reply to
chloey1234

If you can still find them.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Vested interest eh?

"I also look after all of Bristol Doorspam's social media, so I actually get paid to be on Facebook all day, good times!"

Reply to
Andy Burns