bi fold doors

hi roger thanks for you e mail most helpful but the door is just hung with 3 hinges no track as the opening doesnt allow it.ill get photo's this week and post them

Reply to
rope

sorry roger i didnt think i was being tested on my english, im new to computers and the internet,but what i was saying was, placed 3 hinges on the left hand side of the door, placed the locks on the right and the cup board magnet on top i removed 40mm from the bottom of the doo to allow it to fit the opening,there is no top track and my clients wish it to be closed tight and be secure. The advice and help which i have received from you and everyone else has help me ,thanks everyone but these doors r just a pain

Reply to
rope

The internet is just like any other written communication medium, attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation and paragraphination enables meaning to be communicated. Additionally, appropriate trimming (removing redundant content) and quoting (keeping appropriate content) enables the communication to be understood.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you trimmed 40mm off the bottom, you have no option other than to do what you did really. The hole for the height adjusted would have been cut away, so there would be nothing to hold the door into the top track.

Could you re drill that hole & fit it like a normal bi fold?

A normally fitted bi fold has a spring to hold the two inner flat bits of the doors together - so it will stay closed, but not be secure.

A bolt would stop it folding inwards, but not outwards & would slightly restrict the opening. Do they need it to be secure and open able from both sides or just one? For example, on a toilet you would only need to 'lock' it from inside.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It just meant that it would have been easier to understand if divided into sentences - each starting with a capital letter and ending with a full-stop. And maybe with the occasional comma thrown in, for good measure.

what i was saying was, placed 3 hinges

So is it *actually* a bi-fold door - i.e. in two pieces, hinged down the middle? If so, how many hinges are there altogether, including those which hinge the whole thing to the frame?

If it's hinged to the frame with conventional hinges, the hinge axis will be in line with - or outside - one face of the door. Proper bi-fold door gear has the axis mid-way between the two faces - and this matters when it comes to making it stay closed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The bi fold door has 1 hinge the full lenght of the door and i placed

3 pin hinges on the left hand side. The door is between a granny flat and main house, they just want the door to be, when closed that no one can open it when u push it at the centre. But when it was on the track the problem still happen's.thanks
Reply to
rope

rope ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) wibbled on Sunday 30 January 2011 22:01:

Professional sliding door sets (as used, say, in an office to divide a seminar room) usually have a series of leaf-edge to rail locks. Sometimes these can be simple sliding bolts, sometimes something fancy that is operated by a "key" winder.

If they mean "cannot open it" as opposed to "cannot knock it open by nudging it", then the solution has to be some sort of bolt on the middle hinge to the track or frame.

French door top/bottom sliding bolts with a centre handle could be an option, or just a simple top bolt, recessed flush type if it is on th side where the two halves will come together on opening.

Cheers

tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks to everyone who took the time to email me back. My clients don't want a bolt in the centre as they wont be able to open it from the granny flat, ill try a sliding door lock instead of the mortice latch, Fingers crossed this will solve my problem thanks again to everyone

Reply to
rope

rope ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 18:51:

Glad you got a solution :) I got most of my best ideas here (I'm DIY fixing a knackered house from electrics, plumbing, concrete though to levelling s**te subfloors).

Reply to
Tim Watts

well best of luck with your fixer upper. If i can be any help ill email you back. again thanks for input. rope

Reply to
rope

rope ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February 2011 20:22:

No worries - and ta.

As you imagine, it's slow as I'm not doing each trade everyday - so I have to learn on the fly. Luckily I already know plumbing and electrikery basics but even there there are new regs or new products.

Everything's a game of catchup :) Haven't done anny major cockups yet (fingers crossed).

Reply to
Tim Watts