BG Central Heating breakdown care

Page 3 of 11
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:17:29 +0000, tarquinlinbin

True, but it's not the issue as I see it.
They are certainly trading on their market position and inertia of people to change - they seem a "safe bet".
They advertise their service products based on this perception and even use the notion of being a "paramedic organisation" i.e. an emergency service in their TV advertising. OK, so they have a brief on-screen flash mentioning "terms and conditions", but it is virtually illegible and only up for a few seconds.
This might comply with the letter of the law but the notion that they are providing anything close to an emergency service under central heating contracts is misleading. They are not.
Even on their web site they talk about a 24x7x365 priority customer help line. Call centre. Big deal. Still does not say when an engineer will visit.
They also have the audacity to prioritise customers with some kind of public service ethic. This is patently wrong. All customers should be treated equally and their contracts should stipulate a maximum call out time and a time to fix. Sorry to be hard about it, but I'm not interested in hearing that some of their fitters are off sick or are busy fixing old ladies gas fires. Yes, these things are important, but they should be able to provide a good level of service for *all* customers on the same contract.
I wouldn't even mind seeing different pricing levels for different response times - then I could choose. Failing that, they should refund part or all of the contract value if they fail to meet time performance criteria.
All I ever ask a supplier or provider of a product or service to do is what they say they are going to do. More is nice, but anything less is not acceptable. With their promotion of their central heating contracts, coupled with what happens in practice, they may be doing what they say they will do in the small print, which is basically nothing other than "best efforts", but they are selling something more. My issue with them is the gap between what is implied and what is delivered.
I don't feel that this should go unchallenged which is why I have raised the issue with the ASA and with Ofcom.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Probably the very people that BG sub-contract the work to.
--
Alan
Hello tarquinlinbin

Nono, it's because they're the biggest name in the market and more people use them.
If I go "Billy Jones, the local plumber, short-changed me!" none of you are going to give a stuff since you're unlikely to ever use him. By "bleating on" about BG's bad practice, we exercise our rights as dissatisfied customers by discouraging friends and others from making the same mistakes we did.
Fortunately, the average plumbing clue in here is higher than in yer average cross-section of the populace so we're more likely to *know* that powerflushing is often a con and that paying three grand to replace a gas boiler is NOT good value.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

Also, they are a trusted name from the past when service came above money

--
geoff

Gee,thats when i used to work for them..! and its also why i dont any longer..
joe

When publicly owned the service side was only meant to draw even. It was a "service", as the main profit was from the sale of gas. An emergency gas escape call would be the first half hour free, if chargeable to the customer. In the 1960s, "all", cooker servicing was free labour (depending on area board).
How things change. Maggie, Maggie, Maggie...you all know the rest.

The real world rather than the cloud cuckoo land of state run industries.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

(depending
When a system is nationwide and a monopoly it should be run by the people. Private monopolies are a no, no. BG under public ownership was far better, and far more customer focused.
Private greed ruined their service side which they wanted to make lots of money from rather than run it as a service to say thank you for buying gas.

It should be run by people who know how to run a business.

That is why we have the Competition Commission. It's a great pity that it doesn't deal with with state run megaliths as well.

There was little or no choice . That is never far better.

Lack of a state bankroll and having to compete in the commercial world with incompetent management and a culture from a bygone age has ruined the service business.
It's perfectly reasonable to provide a good service and charge a profitable commercial rate for it. Charging inadequate money to provide good service and a return for shareholders is pointless. Clearly it is unnacceptable to charge a lot of money and then not deliver.
As to greed, there is nothing wrong with that either. It is one of the main motivators and drivers in economies that work.
"The point is, ladies and gentleman, is that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind."

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It's amazing how many people who rail against the concept of profit still think that *they* should be well paid for the work they do.
--
Niall

The problem arises when prices go up and quality of service goes down, especially when you're riding on a good past reputation
--
geoff

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:00:19 +0000, geoff wrote:

If goodwill could be measured (it probably can but only buy paying a customer survey outfil a lot) it would be interesting to know how long BG have got before their stock runs dry.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
"Ed Sirett" wrote | If goodwill could be measured (it probably can but only buy paying | a customer survey outfil a lot) it would be interesting to know how | long BG have got before their stock runs dry.
I was amused to see a huge advertisement on the side of some scaffolding in Edinburgh for British Gas ... with a Scottish Gas logo visibly pasted-over the British Gas bit.
BG's slogal is of course 'doing the right thing' ... shame they didn't get it right first time with their advert.
Owain

Most people 'rail' against excessive profit for poor service. Or things like directors awarding themselves a 20% pay rise plus perks while restricting their workforce who make the profits for them to 2% *and* reduce their 'perks' in the form of longer working hours, etc.
--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:31:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Yeah, and *some* of *them* have to be the people you encounter every day who take home plenty of money for doing not a lot and that badly. Many of whom IME work for the public sector.
--
Niall

I'd love to know which part of the public sector gets plenty of money for doing not a lot. Apart from MPs, of course.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

was
gas
people.
gas.
Most service I know that is geared to make money is poor. In some cases you may loose on the call because of misdiagnosis or whatever. Those geared to make money will rip off in some way or other.

And drives down service levels.

What tripe! Greed and ambition/, etc are very different. Greed is wanting more when you have more than enough.

This all depends on how the service is organised, costed and delivered and the cultural values that go into it.

Nonsense. Service should not be equated to being something that must be given away in order to have value and be effective. It is precisely that cultural value which results in the poor organisation of all of the present and many of the former state run industries. Sadly they often have very skilled and dedicated people working at the sharp end but are ruined because the management have no concept of a service ethic and no clue about how to run a business. Thus resources are wasted and the best people drift away.

Actually not.

This was meant to be tongue in cheek. Besides, who is going to set the level of "more than enough". Clearly not the person with avarice. Since it will be somebody else, by definition the view will be subjective.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Who said give away. Overt rip-off at every opportunity is what we see now. The hidden camera consumer programmes should only the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

I will clarify further. Greed is taking the largest postion of the cake, as much of the cake, or all of the cake if you could, when you already have a more than big enough share of the cake. By taking more of the cake you deprive others. That is the main difference: of ambition, etc and greed.