BG and service contracts again...

My brother has a system that has been covered by a BG service contract since new. So over 25 years. About 4 years ago they required a new boiler to be fitted and recommended a Potterton Puma. Which has gone wrong at least twice a year - and in a big way. The last repair a couple of months ago involved a new wiring harness as well as other parts.

However, the system is now broken again. And BG say it's blocked and needs a power flush - they've done their magnet test on the pipes and base it on that. Which of course isn't covered by the service contract. 500 quid if you please. But guaranteed for ever. And if the power flushing doesn't work they'll replace the pipework...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wossat then?

I think I'd make *sure* the power flush didn't fix the pipework ... £500 for a complete CH replumb sounds like a bargain. Especially if the radiators are blocked too...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

And if the power flushing doesn't

Wow - that could be major work if, like mine, your heating system has ground floor piping concreted into the floors!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It has indeed, in the kitchen, to the location of the original boiler. When the new boiler was installed, they re-sited it in the utility room with pipes running along the kitchen wall at ceiling height. So their logic would be to run new ones along the other wall to match it up.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Doesn't say they'll put the pipe where you like - just that they'll replace them.

I notice from the bumph that accompanied Virgin's Telewest rebrnading that they claim to put cables where you want them. Bet they won't.

Reply to
Guy King

Then the boiler was incorrectly fitted IMHO. They must have fitted a new boiler to a dirty system and and/or not used inhibitor.

Is the system covered if you get someone else to do the powerflush? (As BG will probably sub the job anyway)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I could be wrong, but I don't think BG ever use inhibitor. My brother has had several radiators changed through rusting and then leaking.

I'm willing to bet not...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ditto with my Grandad a few years ago, but it was well over £500 for the powerflush (20 rads)

I back you on that. I begged my Grandad to buy a powerflush for me and do the job for free but he wanted BG to do the job

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I still don't think I'd trust BG to do it though - regardless of the price :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine