BFM (Big Fat Moron)

Yes, me... Just took delivery of 6 sheets of ply and 2 bits of 900x1800

12.5mm plasterboard.

Packed the ply away in the shed. Was now slightly tired.

Went to the house and opened the back door to take the PB in - the same door that opens outwards and I'd leaned the PB against off the truck.

You can all laugh now - it was a total Stan Laurel moment.

2 sheets fell over, to be stopped at the top edge by a grass bank at 30 degrees off horizontal with a very amusing (for bystanders, not me) sound as the middle went wopwopwop

Anyway - cannot see any cracks in the exposed plaster edge even flexing the sheets and the paper seems undamaged.

Is this likely to have weakened them with some unseen cracks through the plaster core?

It's only for lining the underside of the roof under celotex where my new mains waterpipe is going hence the couple of small sheets as I don't need much. Rest will get lined later but the pipe run will make doing a couple of areas hard, hence do it now.

Verbal abuse is welcome - as long as you throw an opinion in!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Reply to
Tim Watts

My similar accident was to open the up and over garage door, thus knocking over the police motorbike of the policeman who was visiting. It smashed an indicator and one of the controls on the handlebars, and scratched the side of the petrol tank.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Its the paper that gives it most of the strength, so if it looks good chances are it will be fine once its screwed to something rigid.

Reply to
John Rumm

I remember getting 25 sheets of them up a long ladder when I did my loft! (still compared to shifting 50 sheets of 12mm PB the hard way, that was easy)

Reply to
John Rumm

If it looks ok it is. Its easy to see when its split inside, and even then its usable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards single handed much easier.

Reply to
Chris French

Or a Gorilla Gripper?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I would certainly second that: I bought one to shift a pile of fireboard, which is heavier than normal PB. Dunno how I would have managed it single handed without.

Reply to
GMM

That looks rather cool

Reply to
Tim Watts

It really makes such a difference. One arm is straight down by your side taking the load, and the other one is used to stabilise it, so much easier than that awkward stretch across the width of the board.

Vids on youtube I imagine if you want to see it in action.

Reply to
Chris French

With a rather impressive 99 year manufacturer's guarantee to boot!

Reply to
Johny B Good

Here's a variation, with a very funny advert :)

More expensive (£50 ish) compared to £8 for the former. I'll get the former...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You sir deserver the honour of "most useful product recommendation, Oct

2014"

Mine came this morning.

Yes, it works - moved 18mm 8x4' ply sheets single handed (well 2 handed to be exact).

Last time I moved them (Thu) it was a 2 man job or drag them along the ground.

I tried it on some 3x6' 12.5mm plasterboard and because you can put it on the outside with your arm over the board, you can carry those single handed.

Make you wonder why it took so long to invent this?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Of course, once you have one, it's not difficult to see how you could have made something very similar, but then it's too late of course (and they're not that expensive.....)

Reply to
GMM

Eh? Plasterboard carriers have been around for years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Problem is, with studs on 400mm c/c spacings, 3x6' don't quite hit the spot!

Reply to
John Rumm

OTOH I am not sure I can get 8x4's up the stairs (which have a tight turn - I shall do a trial run worth a 8x4 25mm sheet of celotex which is a bit lighter to play with :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even then you may find buying 8x4 and pre-cutting to 4x4 or 8x2 etc might work better (although from memory, your stud positions were all over the place anyway - so it may not matter so much)

At least when I did mine I had the chance to get all the PB up the stairs before I put the stairs in ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm