Beyond the Multimaster

I have just finished completely renovating a two-bedroomed flat. No alone, but supervising and a lot of finishing work. I had expected to find my Fein Multimaster the greatest help in this task but I am disappointed: so often another tool did it better (jigsaw, delta sander, Dremel-clone, . . .). Especially this last was a revelation. But what you REALLY need is a beefed-up version of the Dremel that could take 6mm (1/4") accessories. So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2 mm to make something (like a door) fit. A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I think. Google "suggested" a die grinder, an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or a RotoZip (available in Europe? Now, like Dremel, in the Bosch family).

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?

Reply to
Rob Simpson

Dremel actually make a small router, but it's not in B&Q etc. I discovered it after buying a similar device from Lidl which uses the same bits. A PITA to buy in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly, faffing about with the latest geehaw is not always best, the old way is mostly best. Although I just have to have the latest toy in my collection.

Reply to
F Murtz

With the exception of delta sanding (where the MM wipes the floor with any other delta sander I have tried), the MM is not really supposed to be a replacement for the other tools you list. It really comes into its own on jobs they can't do.

A dremel *is* a die grinder - although a relatively small one. There are electric and pneumatic versions in a variety of sizes.

You can also get a router base for it for small routing jobs.

For shaving small amounts of the side of things, don't dismiss the humble plane... a small block plane is invaluable for all sorts of fettling.

You may find for other trim tasks, a small trim router is exactly what you need. Something like the Bosch GOF600 can be used single handed, and is ideal for edge work (it even has special offset bases for the task, that make it much easier to balance on an edge)

Reply to
John Rumm