Betty's gawn green

a hydropower system recently installed by the Crown Estate is currently generating enough power for Windsor Castle, and more.

Reply to
Artic

FFS should we expect to be paying them FIT too?

t a cost of £1.5 million and testing began in April.

Details of the scheme are confidential, but it is understood that the Queen will save ?a huge amount? on her electricity bills."

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Saturday 23 November 2013 09:00 Artic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My response:

Aarrgh - I know journalists are a bit dim, but this is supposed to be a decent newspaper (political bias notwithstanding).

?Right now, we are producing 200kWh, meaning the whole castle is being powered.?

I assume he means "200kW" (power), otherwise -10 for grammar as he must have meant "we have produced 200kWh to date" (energy).

Walker and Eden: 100 times, by tomorrow: "A watt is power, a watt-hour is energy and power is energy per unit time."

As far as "green crap" - I think, for all his faults, the PM is referring to hopelessly inefficient schemes such as photovoltaic panels and wind turbines, neither of which do anything to supply baseload and neither of which can be relied on to supply peak load when needed. Hydroelectric schemes are generally both reliable and efficient, but there are limited deployment opportunities in the UK, unless we start flooding some more valleys somewhere.

No wonder everyone's confused - the government lies and blusters and the journalists who are supposed to call them to account by laying bare the truth behind policies and events cannot be trusted because so few understand basic science, politics or history.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Artic"

Reply to
harryagain

The link doesn't work for me - it tells me "you must log in to see this page". If you want to make informed comments that others can see (and I fully sympathise with your criticism of stupid arts types writing for the newspapers) then you shouldn't use a private site.

Reply to
Clive Page

In message , Jim K writes

Hmm.. The EA were very sniffy about me drawing thermal energy from a river crossing my land.

I suppose the Queen could reasonably point out that this is actually her land and I only hold it by right:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Details of the scheme are confidential, but it is understood that the Queen will save a huge amount on her electricity bills."

Jim K

Well the FIT scheme does cover micro hydro.

harryagain

Try this:-

harryagain

I thought that she preferred fires in Windsor Castle.

Reply to
PeterC

Oh yes, I read the story. I just couldn't read the comments by Tim Watts, which may well be intelligent ones. But I couldn't because he put them on Facebook, to which I will not subscribe.

Reply to
Clive Page

On Saturday 23 November 2013 09:39 Clive Page wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That'll be why I quoted the full text of my FB post in the PP!

Reply to
Tim Watts

The day you start telling it like it is, Harry.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Saturday 23 November 2013 09:44 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Frist prost to me...

(Slashdot joke).

Then it's Harry...

Reply to
Tim Watts

PeterC scribbled...

That's Phil the Greek, but he's been found out after setting fire to the Cutty Sark.

Reply to
Artic

Indeed it also seems ironic, that they offer the lowest subsidies to the most useful microgen schemes...

Reply to
John Rumm

He also quoted them in the post where he included the link ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

His comments are there on the Telegraph site.

Reply to
harryagain

Not actually true.. solar gets a max of about 16p a unit, hydro about 23p a unit.

Reply to
dennis

On Saturday 23 November 2013 10:03 Clive Page wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'll take your silence as an apology :)

Reply to
Tim Watts