Best web forum?

Possibly. Some people are blessed with the gift to let everything drift over them, others have a curse which forces them to dwell on shit (however pointless).

That said the former are often very proud of themselves as if it some sort of skill.

Reply to
R D S

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

uk.legal.moderated whitelists posters of known reliability which seems to work well. And you could have a moderator pool.

But I think uk.d-i-y works OK anyway.

I still say NNTP aka USENET is a better delivery mechanism than any web forum. It is just fundamentally more flexible and efficient.

But you can still put a web gateway on the front if someone really wants it.

In fact NNTP vs Web reminds me so much of the old unix saying:

"Those who do not understand unix are doomed to re-invent it. Poorly."

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I help moderate an email group hosted by Yahoo. We only moderate new members, and only for their first post. After that they have direct access. Of course if they break any rules we have the option to put them back onto moderation. But this is extremely rare. Most who do break a rule is through omission and a quick guidance note prevents it happening again. Very rarely someone joins just to spam and they simply get chucked out. But spammers can't usually be bothered going through the hoops of joining a moderated group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are none. Web forums are cr*p.

Reply to
Huge

Don't have to put up with the owner's UI, doesn't scale ...

Reply to
Huge

Maxie, what a response!!! Fantastic!!!! What a fabulist you are. A breath of fresh air you are.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

u.l.m might whitelist - but I at least have not achieved that status. So I suffer the delays to my posts - and to replies when from other non-whitelisted people. :-(

For all its faults, I still prefer Usenet. But there are times I question my sanity in clinging to that position.

Reply to
Rod

Whereas I am whitelisted. There's something to ponder for the flamers around here.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just for clarity, are you suggesting that I am a flamer? Or am I reading in too much to the position of your post?

Reply to
Rod

Surely that's a club you don't want to be in.

Reply to
R D S

Well I didn't say whether the achievement of that status would be on the way up or... :-)

Reply to
Rod

With the Yahoo groups I run (one for over 8 years), people are vetted before they can join, but thats mainly because magic has to be kept 'secret'. Methods are discussed etc, which we obviously don't want the general public knowing about.

Generally posts aren't moderated. If I spot a personal attack I will post to the thread telling the proponent to cease. If he doesn't I will moderate his posts & not allow any such attacks. I rarely have to do so & have never banned anyone.

I'd say they are as fast as UK-DIY.

I can get a either a daily digest of posts, individual posts or I can read them on the web - which I hate as well. We get no spam at all. I've only ever warned one guy for advertising non magic items.

We get the occassional hiccup with posts not appearing for a while, but other than that, no problems.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This is a discussion that crops up every year or two in one form or another (moderation, group splitting, alternative platform etc). There never seems to be a perfect answer to the questions other than a general feeling that what we have is a reasonable compromise.

They (we!) could take that as a compliment...

To be fair, much of this can be done on usenet with a bit of filtering. For thuderbird users even the simple expedient of hitting "k" to kill a thread can be a great time saver. A few more subtle filters can make the process even more rewarding. For example, by selecting "View|Threads|Watched threads with unread" from the menu I can instantly see all the conversations in which I have participated, that have any unread messages in them[1]. Its this sort of speed and flexibility that is hard to match on web based fora.

[1] I have filters set up to "watch" any thread I post to.

This is a slightly harder problem to deal with, in that it requires discipline from the majority of readers to not respond / killfile the abuser. Serious offenders can sometimes be dealt with by their ISP. Generally we don't seem to suffer this here (although I appreciate that different ISPs will filter different levels of spam)

Reply to
John Rumm

I do agree that Yahoo groups do actually process and send out updates quickly. But if pre-post moderated, that process does delay things, in Yahoo or elsewhere.

The daily digest is a problem. I so often see a post, several replies, and then replies that do not take into account the replies already made. It is, of course, inherent to any mechanism like that - but in Usenet it seems to be minimised. (Quite a number of years ago, news servers were so slow, and propagation even slower, that the whole of Usenet tended to be like that. But not, IME, now.)

Reply to
Rod

White listing doesn't mean a thing Steve. You can be taken off that list at the drop-of-a-hat if you upset one of the moderators - so bragging about it is a waste of time - and an over-inflated ego is your norm anyway!

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever