Best way to shorten one of these?

shelf - but I want it as a towel rail.

It juts 27 cms out from the wall, and I want to take a bit off the brackets so it juts out about 20 cms. What;'s the best way to do this? Angle grinder (seriously)?

Reply to
GB

Clamp it well and use Hacksaw and file, followed by emery cloth and something to buff out scratches. Should be able to get the adjustment correct to within 1 thou.

Reply to
Adrian C

For a neat job I would do the same.

Mie

Reply to
MuddyMike

SNAP! Spent a while looking for a towel shelf to mount on the wall high above the radiator, and could only find things which were completely crap. Then I saw one of these, which is perfect. I only fitted every other rail, to leave space to hang towels over it. Some time later, I noticed they had introduced a bathroom version with just the alternate rails!

I did consider shortening mine, but the brackets are rather thick stainless steel, so I never got round to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 14/05/2011 19:25, Andrew Gabriel wrote: but the brackets are rather thick

Ah... ping goes me hacksaw blade idea then...

Reply to
Adrian C

Can you get hacksaw blades for stainless steel?

Reply to
GB

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "GB" saying something like:

Angle grinder, seriously. I hacked a beer keg in two with one. The only thing is the flying swarf is a bit nastier than mild steel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I had to adjust part of a Grundtal bracket where it fouled a door frame, and found the above technique worked fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Just to report back. I did use an angle grinder. Dead easy, and I cut quite a nice arc at the end, then finished off with a file and some wet and dry paper. It looks fine.

Reply to
GB

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "GB" saying something like:

Glad it worked out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon