Best way to kill a chicken?

A dog has got into next doors garden and attacked the chickens.

I might have to finish off a few of the injured one in an hour or so.

What's the best way, wring the neck or use a spade? Other ideas welcome.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you are squeamish, an old sock over the head, then bash it with a lump hammer. Instant, but messy in the sock, so dont take it off.

If not squeamish, yank their necks, though if done too hard it can pull the heads off.

Reply to
A.Lee

I remember seeing it done at a small holding a cousin owned. They used a stick of some sort with one end wedged under something like a pivot - neck between stick and a stone and stood on the other end of the stick. I was young enough not to be worried. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

stun them first with a portable appliance tester?

Owain

Wring the neck (if you're not squeamish about doing it).

First find the neck. A chicken's brain goes further down than you might expect fromt he shape of the head. If you cut too high, you chop the brain in half, leaving behind a hindbrain that's enough to run around for a bit. If it's an American chicken, it might even live for a couple of years in this "nearly headless" state.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But what do you do if they are Battery chickens?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Never tried, but have been told; that if you put a broom handle over the neck and stand on the ends, then pull on the body, its an easier way to wring the neck on tough old birds!

Reply to
John Rumm

I am not sqeemish, I just wanted to make sure that I did not make a mess of it.

I'll video it if I do have to kill one.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

hint, it's at the opposite end the shit comes out.

Reply to
Gazz

Hold the chicken's legs in your left hand, and let it hang so that its in front of your legs with its back slightly uppermost. Spread the index and middle fingers of your right hand, and slip your hand over its head. Grasp its head with your remaining fingers, then bend your wrist as far as possible, so the back of your hand is parallel with the chicken's neck. Gently take up tension, then give the neck a firm tug. It's most important that the bird's head is bent right back, or you'll have to pull much harder, and probably pull its head off. As you tug the neck, you'll feel it stretch a couple of inches - this is when it breaks.

Let go with your right hand, and let its wings flap. If you've done it right, the head jerks around limply. After a minute or so, the twitching stops. If you want an unbruised chicken for the table, drop it head first into an inverted traffic cone as soon as it's neck has gone - this stops its wings flapping and bruising itself.

Broom sticks are OK for turkeys, but it's difficult to judge how hard to pull.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

2x4 years judging by recent history.
Reply to
PeterC

This does _not_ apply to politicians.

Reply to
PeterC

Have you done it yet? What's been done with the dog? Where are your neighbours? ...awaiting an update :)

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Another chicken has died without my help.

The others seem to be in shock. We are going to give them the night before we kill any.

The dog is fine.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

and they still carry on flapping...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've seen that method recommended for killing geese. Not sure what the goose is doing while you put a broom handle over its neck, stand on the ends and then grab the legs ...

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Pull the neck is normal way.

If you don't like that idea .. put broom handle across back of neck, stand on broom, and lift chicken up and back over broom ... 'stretch n' snap at same time , often used on rabbits.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Does it work for wives?

Reply to