Best way to deal with ants ?

Whats the best way to deal with ants in our garden ?.

We've tried the usual powdered products, but they keep coming back.

TIA

woodglass....

Reply to
johnnybegood

Why not tell the wasps that the ants are "moving in "............. ..............................................................................................I'll get my coat !

Barry>

Reply to
bs

............................................................................ ..................I'll

I don't think that wasps understand English - I've already askd them to leave ! :-))

woodglass....

Reply to
johnnybegood

Find the nest(s), dig it out (preferably whilst the b****rs are not active), and burn it in a bin.

That said, it's difficult to find the whole nest, dig the whole thing out, and make sure none of the critters escape burning.

Worked for me the one time I did it, and it was a "small" nest, approx .5 cu metres

Reply to
Ian Cornish

You can't stop them. Well not at least permanently. That's why they've been on this planet longer then us.

Reply to
RedOnRed

You need your Aunts. :-)

Reply to
ben

My Aunts what ????.

Reply to
johnnybegood

napalm the garden dig all the grass up then lay green concrete, the put your feet up with a nice chilled beer to admire the work you've done.

Reply to
reg

Have already drank all the beer thinking about what to do !!! :-)

Reply to
johnnybegood

Right.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was plural, not possessive :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have to ask first, why do you want to get rid of them.

My wife is always going on about the number of ants in our back garden. I look at the problem thus, as they do not bother me, I will not bother them.

However, if they are crawling all over you, the best thing that I have found on the market is 'Ant Bait'. Made by Nippon. The only problem with using it is that it must be kept dry. It comes in a plastic pack with holes for the ants to enter and take the bait. When they take it back to the nest, the nest gets killed.

I have successfully used it both at the school I work at and my home. Put the packs down and about 7 to 10 days later, no more ants.

So you could try using these ant bait packs, if you can keep them covered from the rain, but accessible to the ants. They last for about 3 months maximum.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's obvious. It's because he doesn't want to confuse them with apostrophes.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hardly a revelation. That product's been around longer then Bovril. I had a builder round a few months ago that went on for 15 minutes about how great it was, even though I kept on saying I know and i've used it loads of times every few seconds.

We've all used it (Nippon) at some time or other haven't we?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Guess what! I haven't :-)

Mind you, we don't get many ants up in the tundra. The last timeI saw some was when I came across a large nest in woodland, in the Clder Valley I think. It was fascinating. I took lots of pictures.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good. Well at least you're aware that ants and Nippon exist then.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I know quite a lot about the former. The only experience I have of the latter is seeing it promoted on this ng.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They never got that far here :-)