Best way to deal with ants ?

Of course not; they are all abominations. But there are cases where the word has changed over time in Britain, but remained in its original form in America. And some words ('faucet' comes to mind) which have completely disappeared 'over here'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are some. "Rabbet" rather than "rebate" used in joinery, for example. "Gotten" may be another one, bu still makes my teeth grind.

A guy from Georgia enrolled at Harvard and on his first day there was walking across the campus and asked an upperclassman (drawling heavily),"Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The upperclassman responded, "At Harvard we do not end sentences with prepositions."

The Georgian then replied, "Well then, could you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

Reply to
Andy Hall

? It hasn't.

Yes, but just because Americans haven't made progress in some parts of their language doesn't mean that we should use it. We develop our own and words are correct in their *present* context, not the historical one. Very few people would be able to understand mediaeval English.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

All this shit has nothing to do with the original post !!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
woodglass

Yup, this *is* a newsgroup.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

WHAT original post? As you couldn't be bothered to post the right way up, nor trim to context, we are non the wiser.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you are unaware of the original post why bother reading and replying to any threads ?.

Reply to
woodglass

o O/ L

Reply to
woodglass

Posting as you do upsets your general audience, and is counter-productive. WRT the original post, reading the first reply normally gives a good idea - saving having to read two or more. Anyway, it's like life in general, if you upset/annoy people, they won't want to help you or talk to you....

Try to read and apply:

Chris Bacon

I'm outta this playground !.

The concept of newsgroups is a fantastic idea, but is wasted by those people who post absolute nonsense replies to the topic(s) in question rather than replying to the obvious subject in question !!!!

woodglass...

Reply to
woodglass

Not my loss, mind the step blundering your way out. Bye.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is, by any chance your middle name Philip, Paul, or Peter ?

woodglass...

Reply to
woodglass

Bysie bye!