"best" way of wiring lighting circuits? Complete re-wire

Heavens no. You'll have a broken point in the insulation. You can use blue insulating tape (B&Q) instead of sleeve.

Trying to break the association that black is neutral - or that's the story I heard.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good point. Though it was more like 0.5cm, so was almost in the switch terminal anyway. I don't like insulation tape, but I agree it's safer in this context.

Interesting. That's quite funny really - in the old colours, I used the Blue of 3-core for the Neutral on the smoke alarms precisely because it was neutral in the "other"(at the time, flex only) colours.

(I hate these new colours - but I know I'm 5 years too late to say it!)

Neutral Grey it is then.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

But the three phase colours predated the change in flex colours by many many years.

It should have been done years ago when the flex colours changed - you'd have been used to it by now. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah - they'd still be lousy colours for being able to tell apart in the dirt/dust/dark! ;)

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

That was one of the main reasons for changing from red lack and green as flex colours - a large proportion of the male population can't tell red and green apart, especially in poor light. Green/yellow should be identifiable to those with poor colour vision.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)