Best Wall Surface behind bath with shower .

As part of renovating my bathroom I am thinking of retiling the wall that houses the bath which has an electric shower attached to a false wall at the taps end . I can probably get away with tiling on top of the false wall as it was a timber construction and is level . The other wall ,along the long side of the bath ,already has two layers of tiles and some are slightly uneven so I think the best idea would be to remove tiles and whatever lies beneath...I can't remember what I used when I did that years ago ....possibly hardboard on battens .

So the question is ......what is the best surface to have in this situation ?. At present the tiles go to about 89" above the floor .... I will probably be fixing battens to the wall . The other bathroom walls have or are being plasterboarded...but I imagine that's not the best solution for a tile that will be getting a degree of wetness every day .(or is it .?)

Any ideas .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Aquapanel?? (as a replacement to the plasterboard), costs around £10/sqm from wickes / B&Q WH etc

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Excellent .Thx for that .

I have heard of Aquapanel but wasn't sure what it was used for ...I used to think it was some sort of waterproof panel to use as an end product rather than under tiling .

Thats just what I need.

I see it comes in 900 x1200 and 900 x 2400 . Is it heavier than plasterboard size for size so I can judge whether I can carry it myself .I can get the smaller ones in my hatchback

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Agree, that's definitely the stuff to use. It's substantially heavier (and more brittle) than p/b, yes. Have to say I've never seen the

2400x900 size, but TBH if I did I'd leave it on the rack. Heavy to move and very likely to break in between Wickes and your bathroom wall. You'll be able to lift the smaller sheets, they aren't that bad!

Note that you're supposed to use special expensive Aquapanel-brand scrim tape and 'ceramic' screws - dunno how important it is but I've always done so.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've never seen Aquapanel used I've only ever used plasterboard behind shower tiling and never had any trouble with it. My bathroom's old tiling is coming off right now and almost without a doubt the plasterboard behind it. The only reason I'd be tempted to put more expensive boards up to back the new tiles, is if tiles can be removed from this costly alternative without damaging the board to the extent that it needs replacing each time re tiling takes place. If not, why go to the extra expense and from what's been said, handling problems in terms of weight and fragility?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack