Best varnish for stair handrails?

I made a couple of stairway handrails from softwood and varnished them with yacht varnish. However, the result is somewhat displeasing; the varnish, although applied months ago, still has a bit of 'grab' to it and gives a bit of a friction burn if one slides the heel of one's hand down it too fast, on the way down the stairs. Perhaps yacht varnish is meant to be like that so that sailors' hands and feet don't slip on it easily, I don't know!

Is there some other varnish that ends up a bit more slippery or silky? Or would the answer be to apply wax or similar? Or would that make ot too slippery? I'm hoping I won't need to strip the old varnish off.

If anyone has had first-hand experience of this problem, and found a solution, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

DD

Reply to
D. Dalton

I'd rub it down with coarse wire wool dipped in a furniture wax

Reply to
stuart noble

Yacht varnish loses its grip after a few months sailing. Which sort was it? DIY shed "Yacht varnish" or something bought from a chandler?

I'd give Stuart's wax a go, if you really don't think it's a good idea to be able to hold the handrail.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I did mine with Minwax wood stain followed by a few coats of Minwax brush- on clear gloss laquer. It's holding up fine a few years later, and is neither too slippery or too smooth. Our stairwell is naturally quite dark (no direct lighting) so the gloss doesn't come out as "too shiny".

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Andy Champ wrote in news:G_CdnYNLU snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

Bought from some discount hardware shop for 99p. OK, call me a cheapskate. ;-)

I'll try that - thanks...

Jake

Reply to
JakeD